What I wore to my pharmacy school interviews:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleialoha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wore the same outfit to all of my interviews and was offered a seat in each program that I interviewed at. I ended up accepting a position at Touro University, Ca.

I received multiple compliments on my interview ensemble by the staff, faculty, and other interviewees. one of the staff members even approached me individually to ask me where she could purchase my purse from. I cut up a fresh lemon and stuck it in my purse in an open plastic bag, so that I would be associated with a pleasant fragrance during my interview. I reinforced the citrus scent by wearing a Kate Spade lemon print satchel. I chose to wear classic cuts, but stood out with a unique horizontal striped pattern pencil skirt and light grey tweed/wool textured suit jacket with white piping, combined with a blue-grey snakeskin ballet flat.
thechemistryofpink

Whatever you do, do not wear heels, it is very impractical and is an indicator of inefficient planning. The e-mail even states to wear comfortable shoes; wearing heels is basically giving them the finger. This is an interview for pharmacy school, not an internship at Vogue magazine.

In addition, I brought a umbrella to show that I was prepared if it rained during the campus tour. It actually did rain during one of my interviews and I was the only applicant out of 50 that was prepared with an umbrella.

My advice: Dress a way that realistically reflects you and your personality, you do not want to be part of a program that does not like you for who you are anyways. Steer clear from the norm, and be yourself. If you are a guy, wear a eclectic tie or rock a button down shirt under your suit jacket that has a pattern or texture to it. Or if you are really ambitious, your outfit can reflect the school's color palette. Wear classic cuts, but avoid the expected solid black and white color palette. Also, do not wear a hat, honestly it is just weird.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Pharmacy Interview Outfit.png
    Pharmacy Interview Outfit.png
    578.7 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: 1 user
I kept reading online that men should wear dark suits. I ended up wearing a tan/khaki suit with a white shirt with blue pinstripes and a patterned blue tie to every interview. It's the one formal outfit that I think I look sharp in to the point my family makes fun of me for wearing it to every formal event.

Out of the men and women at all my interviews, I was literally the lightest shade to the tune of Lebron versus Curry. Actually, I was quite embarrassed about it on my first interview day, but perhaps it made me memorable or something. Every interview became an admittance offer. As for fragrance, I would say try your best to be odorless. The nightmare scenario is someone being allergic. Of course, the ability to avoid making a bad impression is a decent substitute in the face of an inability to make a good impression. In any case, this post has reminded me that I should up my fashion game.

You can show up in your pajamas and they will accept you these days

Members don't see this ad :)
You can show up in your pajamas and they will accept you these days

Nah, you should step it up and wear the most expensive designer brand possible. It shows that you're extravagant and either already have loads of money, or are willing to sign away tons of loans to pay the outrageous tuition.

Nah, you should step it up and wear the most expensive designer brand possible. It shows that you're extravagant and either already have loads of money, or are willing to sign away tons of loans to pay the outrageous tuition.
Stoichiometrist is so negative Jesus Christ lmao. This guy is so concerned about his job security

I dress in a suit with black tie and light grey coat with black trouser. It's all about style and formality at the same time tailored to fit you and make you the sharpest looking individual. I am really into formal wear normally so it wasn't a concern on my interview day. It is good to stand out and look Sharp. You may not be aware but good looks in good cloths with the appearance alone can win you extra points.

It is good to stand out and look Sharp. You may not be aware but good looks in good cloths with the appearance alone can win you extra points.
Is it a fashion show there?

I think this is kind of an exaggerated point of view on dress code. Compliments are great, but someone should be standing out because of their interview more than anything. Those are good points about what not to wear though, I saw some pretty embarrassing interview outfits at my interviews. No need to wear something outrageous though, a solid outfit is perfectly fine.

I think this is kind of an exaggerated point of view on dress code. Compliments are great, but someone should be standing out because of their interview more than anything. Those are good points about what not to wear though, I saw some pretty embarrassing interview outfits at my interviews. No need to wear something outrageous though, a solid outfit is perfectly fine.
What are the examples of embarrassing ?

I wore a monkey suit and got in but I had over a 50 on PCAT. I think the girl in jeans who brought her mom into the interview got in too.

What are the examples of embarrassing ?
One guy wore jeans and an oversized button up with no tie. There were a couple more with no coat or tie, just slacks and a button up. Not saying anything is wrong with those outfits in any other situation, but it should be obvious what someone should wear to an interview like this.

Is it a fashion show there?
Just dont go dressing like lady gaga. Sharp tie, nice blazer, fitted dress shirt. Fitted trouser with nice shine shoe. Dress like you want to impress.

Just dont go dressing like lady gaga. Sharp tie, nice blazer, fitted dress shirt. Fitted trouser with nice shine shoe. Dress like you want to impress.
I am a girl lol