what if do not pass ck by nrmp rank deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc39

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hypothetical question...

i go through interview season. all goes well. was invited to the interviews based on step 1 score alone. pass step 2 cs and what if find out did not pass step 2 ck and it's too late to retake and have score back by nrmp rank deadline, hence out of the match...

now, reapply with passing score for nxt year, ANY CHANCES FOR THE SAME PLACES TO INVITE ME TO INTERVIEW AGAIN??? is that a possibility, or usually wont happen?

thanks bunches

Members don't see this ad.

So...assuming you're an I/FMG this would be bad for you this year. You could still potentially scramble this year but it would be tough. (If you're an AMG, this isn't an issue at all.)

The likelihood of programs re-inviting you next year is mixed. Some probably will. Some probably won't. Some who won't may be convinced to invite you if you call/email to explain the problem. Failing a Step is a red flag though so expect that you'd have to aim lower prestige-wise next year if this is in fact the case (I hope it's not).

Agree with above.

There is no way of knowing whether the programs will reinterview you. Some will, some won't and it will depend on the applicant pool next year. You may look good by comparison or poorly (given the failure).