what if flunk ck & already have interviews scheduled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc39

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what if you flunk ck and alredy have interviews scheduled. in that scenario, would programs un-invite you? would you still stand any chance...i mean if retake it and pass it?

im just freaked out, took it few days ago, and all sorts of nervous...

any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks bunches

Members don't see this ad.

what if you flunk ck and alredy have interviews scheduled. in that scenario, would programs un-invite you? would you still stand any chance...i mean if retake it and pass it?

im just freaked out, took it few days ago, and all sorts of nervous...

any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks bunches

If you retake it and pass it (and have your passing score in before the rank deadline), then you should be on firmer footing. This happened to a friend of mine, and he ended up matching (in anesthesia).

Programs can always rescind an invitation for interview. However, I have never heard of this happening.

I suspect that the threshold for rescinding an interview invitation is quite high. At one program I know of, an applicant looked great on paper (test scores, publications) and was invited for an interview. Subsequently, the program director received his Dean's Letter and was appalled by some of his evaluations. This program director did not, however, rescind the invitation. He was given an opportunity to interview. Unfortunately for him, his interview ended up being consistent with the comments made by evaluators.

-AT.

Another example of how test scores aren't everything. I had a couple of tools in front of me at the CS exam. I don't see how they could've possibly passed. They couldn't understand the moderator asking the questions at the beginning and when I tried to make small talk with them outside before we started, they stared at the ground and just mumbled inchorent stuff. One guy kept asking wuh flo? wuh flo? I told him to check in at the front desk and he didn't understand what I meant. Later a classmate of the tools told me they were at the desk asking the moderator where the bathrooms were and someone had to get up and show them because they couldn't understand what the moderator was saying. I just don't get it. Anyway, you'll still get your interview and I too know someone who failed ck after interview, passed 2nd time and matched into OBGYN.

Wow, bluealiendoctor... That's scary!

Thank You for your replies. appreciate it.....:)

Failing CK and failing CS are very different. Somehow the ancedotal stories are coming out about non-Americans and CS. That has nothing to dowith CK.

You are worried about failing and you haven't even gotten your score. We all get that nervous twinge about passing but chances are very good that you did fine (especially if you did OK on Step I as Step II is much easier)

To the OP, I think retaking it and passing it allows a shot to match. Albeit not as great as before, but I don't think it would preclude a match if one applied very widely. Don't worry, it always seems worse a couple of days after taking it. Take time to enjoy yourself and congrats for getting through it.

I just saw that my step 2 score went down to 209 from a Step 1 score of 219. Needless to say, I'm a little upset, but have been thankful to have received a number of interviews already from places like Georgetown, Maryland, NYU, and 6 others. How badly will my drop affect my chances of matching at a program like NYU? The rest of my application is pretty solid, and I have especially strong LOR's.

My question is, when a program invites you to interview, are you considered to be on the same page with everyone else invited (i.e. you have met their academic standards and then some, to a point where they want to interview you)? Or, do we have a situation where a program that may have been keen on me is more likely to drop me quite a bit in their rankings? How can I feel about securing future interviews? Be brutally honest, and I appreciate the advice. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Just edited my post above to offer my 2 cents. I realized how rude it was to just interrupt your thread with my own, and I apologize.:)

hey...it's quite ok, thank you for your input.
as for your step 2 score going down by a little, i dont think you should worry too much over it. i mean yes at the top notch programs you still might be compared to other applicants as far as step 2 scores go, however, dont forget you've made it to the interview and now is the time to allow your personality to shine and make them want to work with you day in and day out. programs where they consider more than who you are on paper and actually take even a minute to get to know you might be ones where you'll find yourself happy at. just some thoughts to consider.

During my 4th year I applied to 5 places and had 4 interviews. During interview season I found out I failed step 2 ck by one point. I went to the interviews anyway-and told them I failed - and they already knew.

I did not get Ck taken again by March, so I could not not match. So I dropped out. But I got it taken in March and passed with an 81. What I did not realize was that I could have scrambled if I had stayed in. But because I dropped out of the match I could not scramble and did not get the list of programs in the scramble from NRMP.

At worst stay in and try to scramble, if you get it done by march or april

I just saw that my step 2 score went down to 209 from a Step 1 score of 219. Needless to say, I'm a little upset, but have been thankful to have received a number of interviews already from places like Georgetown, Maryland, NYU, and 6 others. How badly will my drop affect my chances of matching at a program like NYU? The rest of my application is pretty solid, and I have especially strong LOR's.

In which field?

If you took Step 2 early in order to compensate for your Step 1 score (i.e. you're applying to a relatively competitive field), then yes, a poorer result on Step 2 may hurt.