What if I can't start my residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseballdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got unexpectedly accepted into residency program that starts 6/15. Getting married same day.

WHAT NOW?!

Members don't see this ad.

Got unexpectedly accepted into residency program that starts 6/15. Getting married same day.

WHAT NOW?!

Is this the actual first clinical day or the first day of orientation?

This is why the myth that residency starts on July 1 needs to be done away with immediately. With all the merit badges and computer training that goes on (Surgery residents at my program have to train at 5 different hospital systems before they start, fortunately most of them use the same EMR so the training is only a couple of hours rather than 2 full days like at the mothership), most residencies "start" at least a week early than July 1. The advice given in multiple "what day does residency start" threads here is to assume that you will start working on 6/15 and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be later.

So...what do you do now? Call your new PD and explain the situation. If it's just orientation/merit badge stuff, a lot of that can be done at other times. If it's your first clinical day, see if you can get an elective for your first rotation (assuming this is a specialty that has those). Finally, you could ask for your first day to be your day off for that week/month (mine was...it kinda sucked).

But you need to get this figured out yesterday.

Is this the actual first clinical day or the first day of orientation?

This is why the myth that residency starts on July 1 needs to be done away with immediately. With all the merit badges and computer training that goes on (Surgery residents at my program have to train at 5 different hospital systems before they start, fortunately most of them use the same EMR so the training is only a couple of hours rather than 2 full days like at the mothership), most residencies "start" at least a week early than July 1. The advice given in multiple "what day does residency start" threads here is to assume that you will start working on 6/15 and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be later.

So...what do you do now? Call your new PD and explain the situation. If it's just orientation/merit badge stuff, a lot of that can be done at other times. If it's your first clinical day, see if you can get an elective for your first rotation (assuming this is a specialty that has those). Finally, you could ask for your first day to be your day off for that week/month (mine was...it kinda sucked).

But you need to get this figured out yesterday.

Agree with gutonc. My residency begins, at least the training part itself, about a week before July 1. I'm glad they told us because otherwise I would shown up on July 1. I think it would be helpful if programs become more homogenous with this-they either all start July 1 or make up their own starting times. I think for those who have internship + residency at different places, it becomes particularly complicated since some people may finish later than others, and PGY-2 may start at a date other than July 1.

In this scenario though, it's likely that 6/15 is orientation stuff, vs. actual residency and if it was, it's likely that they would make an exception for a wedding. But need to email PD asap.

In this scenario though, it's likely that 6/15 is orientation stuff, vs. actual residency and if it was, it's likely that they would make an exception for a wedding. But need to email PD asap.

Although I would love to make an exception for someone's wedding, there are parts of orientation that are required (like EMR training). If you miss it, you need to wait 2-4 weeks until the next class.

As others have mentioned, you need to check with your new PD.

No one has mentioned moving your wedding date. I assume that isn't a realistic option.

It sucks, but I wouldn't call it a bone-headed mistake. I think most of us thought we would start July 1st, but I have realized that July 1st start date isn't all that true.

It sucks, but I wouldn't call it a bone-headed mistake. I think most of us thought we would start July 1st, but I have realized that July 1st start date isn't all that true.

Is that a fault of your medical school or why do you think that myth persists?

I started residency almost 15 years ago and it wasn't true then that programs started July 1.

What needs to be done to keep people informed?

I started residency almost 15 years ago and it wasn't true then that programs started July 1.

Honestly I don't know where it comes from. I don't have any upperclassmen at my school.I know at my school they would always make comments about internship and said July, so most of us assumed residencies started in July. But I guess we should have asked during interviews when each program started. :confused:

I learned from perusing this site that residency starts July 1st, but orientation maybe the preceding 1-2 weeks. I did the research on my own. It wasn't made readily available by my school. I've had to inform many of my classmates about this. A lot of people just aren't aware of it. I think they assume they will do a bit of computer training July 1st since most of our rotations worked like that. In fact at most of my rotations where there was orientation, it was easily accomplished in a day including EMR training, ID badge, tour, etc.

It may be a lot of people find out about it so much later (post match day), after they have made plans for the rest of 4th year. Then they come to find out their plans are interfering with orientation (or vice versa).

Is it up to the schools to inform us? Is it up to us to ask each program during interviews? Is it up to the programs to inform us at the interview or some other time? I think the onus is on us as applicants to ask these questions before making big life plans.

Some start even earlier. I'll be starting residency on June 10th.

Yeah, I recall that when I did intern year they started around this time. And I had ACLS/BLS and occupational health/drug test obligations even the week before this. by July I'd already taken a few overnight calls. I suspect the July 1 date gets thrown about because that when most of the PGY2 advanced residencies kick in. So in order for people to have time to relocate for those, the intern years, (and thus many of the categoricals as well) often start a week or two earlier.

Is it up to the schools to inform us?

It would be nice if they did. At the very least let you know that it's a possibility and not to really schedule anything important after the first week of June.

Is it up to us to ask each program during interviews?
Don't do this. It makes you look presumptuous and the other interviewees (and possibly interviewers) will hate you for it.

Is it up to the programs to inform us at the interview or some other time?
They do...after you match there.

I think the onus is on us as applicants to ask these questions before making big life plans.

Correct. Honestly, your school should be giving you a heads up about this (although mine certainly didn't).

I guess I've always operated on the "trust but verify" principle when it comes to things like important dates. I also have envisioned that students smart enough to get through medical school and savvy enough to find SDN, would know these things or at least to ask.

But every year there's someone, "I missed the NRMP deadline!!! Oh noes!!!"

Yes, schools should tell you.

Last edited:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the employment contract. Although lots of residents start in mid-June (for orientation stuff, etc), the contract is often for July 1-June 30.

I checked with all programs I ranked before ranking and made sure I was ok with the orientation start date. It was important for several reasons. This is life as an adult. You gotta' think ahead about this stuff.

I think it's totally fine to ask what a program's start date is. I don't think it suggests that you're somehow lazy. Knowing when you need to show up for your first day of work is important. Chances are that if you knew this back in November, you might still have been able to move your wedding.

I think you have already gotten all the advice you need. I just wanted to say good luck sorting everything through and let us know how it turns out.