What if you dont click the "next" button after 10 min of break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brood910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2014-3-18_15-9-31.png

So, after 10 mins break (this says PS, but you know what I mean), what if you dont click "next" button here? Do we have unlimited time to take additional break here? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2014-3-18_15-9-27.png
    upload_2014-3-18_15-9-27.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 48
I've heard that this screen will stay up, more or less, indefinitely. I think this is to cut down on the possibility of the test beginning before a student gets back to their seat (i.e., if they get held up by the lengthy process of credentialing before re-entering the room).

Haha yes, technically! But, I would avoid taking 2 hour lunches down the street ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So technically we have more than 10 mins for break.

While the computer won't start, the test proctors do keep track of the timing and they can void your test if you go over. However, it's rare that this is an issue because most don't want to risk getting their test voided and possibly being banned from future MCAT administrations.

While the computer won't start, the test proctors do keep track of the timing and they can void your test if you go over. However, it's rare that this is an issue because most don't want to risk getting their test voided and possibly being banned from future MCAT administrations.

How strict are they on this? Do they keep track of the timing themselves, or do they use the timer on your screen? And does the 10 minutes include the time it takes to check in and check out?

Wait, is this true?! That would be awesome if it were! I'm so worried that I might run out of time during the break for bathroom/snack break, what with all their checking in/checking out procedure. I was prepared to not take the 10 min break between PS and VR. Can more people confirm this? Does it depend on the Prometric location?

I am pretty sure it wont be an issue if you go over only a few mins, but if you go over like 10+ mins, I think they will start looking at our tests. There's no way to finish my snacks + go to bathroom + re-do the lengthy procedure to enter the room again in 10 mins when there are so many ppl doing the same.

As someone who took the test, you feel a strong urge to hit NEXT and end your break, rather than let the full 10 minutes elapse, even if that means hitting NEXT at 9:58. For me it was sort of like, "I am in control!" But those few seconds before you hit next, you are "revving your mind up" for the huge ride you're in for... like when a football player runs out from the locker room tunnel to the packed stadium for the game of his life. I know that sounds silly, but for me, OP's image really encapsulates the intensity and emotion of the test.

I am pretty sure it wont be an issue if you go over only a few mins, but if you go over like 10+ mins, I think they will start looking at our tests. There's no way to finish my snacks + go to bathroom + re-do the lengthy procedure to enter the room again in 10 mins when there are so many ppl doing the same.

But not everyone takes their break at the same time because not everyone starts their test at the same time. For a 1:00pm test administration you might end up starting at 12:50 or 1:00 or 1:10. (Correct me if im wrong I have not taken the test but this is what I was told by others who did take the test)

As someone who took the test, you feel a strong urge to hit NEXT and end your break, rather than let the full 10 minutes elapse, even if that means hitting NEXT at 9:58. For me it was sort of like, "I am in control!" But those few seconds before you hit next, you are "revving your mind up" for the huge ride you're in for... like when a football player runs out from the locker room tunnel to the packed stadium for the game of his life. I know that sounds silly, but for me, OP's image really encapsulates the intensity and emotion of the test.

Lol. It's just a test on a screen is the way I like to visualize it. We are in control of the screen and our fates.

But not everyone takes their break at the same time because not everyone starts their test at the same time. For a 1:00pm test administration you might end up starting at 12:50 or 1:00 or 1:10. (Correct me if im wrong I have not taken the test but this is what I was told by others who did take the test)

Yes correct. There may be 0 people in the waiting area when you come out or 1-2 people coming or leaving.

I actually did this for an exam I walked in knowing I was going to void b/c at my testing location, a lot of people go to the bathroom, which leaves you rushing to go back just in time for the clock to run out. I didn't want to add to the anxiety by having the test start without me there, so I wanted to see what what happen and basically the timer just runs out, but you still have to click next yourself. This was the case 2 years ago, I don't know if that's the case today.

But as SN2ed said, proctor's do moderate time and if they see someone exceeding 10 minutes by say, an extra 5 minutes or so, more than likely your test will be flagged for review and probably voided. I guess it gives you the peace of mind knowing the exam won't start without you being there though.

but in the off chance that you have unexpected bowel movements.....

Last edited:
Depends on the testing center. My center had real bitches (lmao NYC) who would've tracked my ass down if I went over by 4 min. They wouldn't even let me write equations down on scrap paper, which btw is totally allowed so..it's all luck.