what if you don't get your degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalapp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have another stupid question. Suppose you get accepted to a dental school for next fall. You completed all prerequisites but don't graduate from college next spring as planned. Would the dental school then take back your acceptance?

I'm asking this because my senior engineering courses are crosslisted as graduate courses.

These are engineering design courses and happen to have fewer than 15 people. Being crosslisted as grad courses, there are PhD students in the class and some are MS students with prior engineering work experience.

Only about 5 people there are undergrads.

Everyone in my engineering classes are highly motivated and bright. And this adds to a danger in my grades, due to the fact that the final grades will be curved from an 'A' to a' D' and because of a small sampling size.

Members don't see this ad.

It boils down to the terms of your dental school acceptance. Some schools will send out unconditional acceptances -- with these you would be able to matriculate without a degree. Most likely, however, you will get a conditional acceptances which stipulates that you must graduate and complete all required classes.

This is an issue that you should speak to the adcom about. many schools are willing to accept students without degrees. however, they must know that you're not degree seeking. otherwise, they would look down upon the fact that you couldnt accomplish your stated goals. however, when you apply without a degree, they expect very strong statistics. it sounds to me like you really dont think youre going to graduate. it would suck to see your acceptance revoked because the dental school expected a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
HMMMM, this thread has made me think.
I had indicated that I would graduate from my Master's program in June. Realistically it could be months later. I will complete the required course work by June but the actual degree is not awarded until the thesis write-up is officially accepted. Sometimes it can take several submissions of the thesis before it is accepted. I think I'll call the schools where I interview to make note of that.

But I am degree-seeking and my BS in engineering is expected on May 2003, which I also indicated on my AADSAS application.

As I said, my senior design courses also accommodate PhD/MS students with practical experience.

There are less than 15 people in these classes and the grades will be curved from an A down to the lowest possible number.

Given the competitive student body and the small sampling size, there is a risk of finishing last in the class and ending up with a D or an E.

dentalapp,
I think you need to relax. My judgement is that the type of class you are referring to will prove to be very educational and rewarding for you. You have already proven yourself in those weed out basic eningeer courses. If you put in maximum effort, your professor will recognize it and reward you accordingly. I suspect that the course will be more like a real life work experience that rewards your contribution to a team effort rather than a darwinian trial that rewards your ability to out do your peers.

geez, I feel bad for those of you in the courses where you get graded based on everyone else's performances. I've never had to experience it myself so I too would be scared of earning a D. Could you maybe take the course pass/fail? or audit? Definitely ask the dental schools on this one - if they'll accept you w/o a degree b/c technically you don't need a degree to matriculate at a lot of dental schools. Worst case scenario - if you get a D, could you pad your schedule next semester with courses that would get you a 4.0 so the D will hopefully not hurt as much?