What if you like a program on probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should you rank a program lower that is on probation even if that's the one you like the most and has the best fit for you, even though you would rank them #1 if not for the probation?

Members don't see this ad.

"Probation" is a program's one chance - if they don't fix the problem(s) before the next site visit, the program is closed. Unless you're in the last year of your residency, you'll be looking for a job.

It depends on what the program has done to fix the problems; if there's been a good effort, you can be reasonably comfortable. If the hospital is on the skids, the PD has left and they haven't gotten another one, or some other deal-breaker, I'd be much more wary.

Apollyon said:
"Probation" is a program's one chance - if they don't fix the problem(s) before the next site visit, the program is closed. Unless you're in the last year of your residency, you'll be looking for a job.

It depends on what the program has done to fix the problems; if there's been a good effort, you can be reasonably comfortable. If the hospital is on the skids, the PD has left and they haven't gotten another one, or some other deal-breaker, I'd be much more wary.

If its Hopkins IM or Yale General Surg, thats one thing, but otherwise you are taking a BIG risk ranking that program. Consider that if you are at a program on probation and accreditation gets yanked, you need to find another job-- effective immediately! That actually happened to the radiology residents at MLK Drew in LA. Thats a bad situation to be in. :thumbdown:

Good luck

There are lots of reasons why programs can be on probation - if its for work hour violations, safety issues, or other institutional problems, then I'd certainly think twice about it. But if the program was put on probation for something less serious, especially if it was from several years ago and has been fixed (ie, we got a "ding" lat year for incomplete Chief case logs from 1997), then it might be worth a second look. Lots of programs go on probation; the reasons WHY are more important, IMHO.

A good reason to rank a program on probation #1 - Lets say you applied to a competitive field and got only one interview and it was at a program on probation. I could see ranking that program #1.

Well, maybe not necessarily #1, but should they be last just because they are on probation even though you may not have liked some of the other programs? The program seems to have taken the necessary steps to get off probation but they could just be telling me that to make me rank them higher, I don't know.