what if?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to a little question in the back of my mind that's been bugging me. As of now, I'm planning on applying for a pretty competitive specialty (ophtho). Unfortunately, I'm not AOA nor have over 240 in my board scores, so I realize that I might not match. I've been told that if I don't match in the Army's FYGME, I'll most likely get a deferrment to the civilian match. But, since the civilian match is very competitive as well, what would happen if I didn't match there either? Would I be able to do my NRMP internship year and apply for something else (like anesthesia) the next year? Would I be able to apply for another pgy2 program and take another deferrment year until the residency begun? What's the policy for people in that situation??