General Admissions & OTCAS What information do I need to provide an * OT * for them to write me a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Lath

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For instance, for my professor, I sent him my transcript and resume to help him write the recommendation.

What do I need to provide the OT to help her write me the best letter possible? What does the OT talk about in their LOR for prospective students? I'm concerned that the OT who is writing me the letter doesn't remember enough about me since I shadowed her awhile back and it was for 25 hours.

I originally had another OT who was willing to write me a letter and she bailed. It's now very late in the application process and I'm extremely grateful that this OT is willing to write me one, but what information do I need to tell her? I was her first shadow when I shadowed and I'm not sure she has written an LOR for a prospective OT Student yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Something I did that was helpful was write up what I specifically did as a volunteer in detail (they don’t always remember) and list characteristics and skills with examples of how I think I demonstrated them while volunteering. I also provided info like why I want to be an OT. I included a list of things I felt they could speak to like why they think I would be a great OT, first impressions, my interaction with staff/patients etc... I gave them a lot of info just because I imagine it can be difficult to remember details or know exactly what things to say.