What inspired you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What/who was your biggest inspiration to attend medical school? Feel free to include both early experiences and later ones! We spend so much time talking about our GPAs, MCAT scores, ECs, etc. but rarely do we talk about who we are and what has influenced us :)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I'm a masochist.

Prestige, earning potential, and the application of science are also other things that interest me.

Early on nothing really I just wanted a career that I felt good doing; I had shadowed a few other fields outside of medicine and didnt think I'd be excited to come to work doing those.

Later I wanted to become The strongest most dominant physician for my own pride

Members don't see this ad :)
Me. At the beginning of UG I just decided and that was that. Couldn't really think of any better deal. All the bachelor **** has minimal upward mobility, and most of it has nothing to do with actually helping people directly. I figured I'd do something that could change lives in a majorly consequential way.

And the dough is nice.

I dropped out of High School and worked a bunch of sh*tty jobs, and realized what I really wanted NOT to do. Also, I had chest surgery once. When I awoke from the anesthesia, I wanted a Big Mac meal really badly. So the physician summoned his interns to fetch a meal for us all. I'm pretty sure that inspired the whole hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, I had chest surgery once. When I awoke from the anesthesia, I wanted a Big Mac meal really badly. So the physician summoned his interns to fetch a meal for us all. I'm pretty sure that inspired the whole hospital.

Have you already been accepted? If not, this story will get you in. Pure awesome.

Hope I can be half the physician he is some day.

Have you already been accepted? If not, this story will get you in. Pure awesome.

Hope I can be half the physician he is some day.
Haha, thank you! I have to a few, but I'm really holding out for my choice school... I'd love to stay local at the U of U, but won't complain if life moves me elsewhere. I guess the others appreciated a good underdog story. :laugh: Never mind the healing power of medicine... I'd like to practice the healing power of McDonald's.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha, thank you! I have to a few, but I'm really holding out for my choice school... I'd love to stay local at the U of U, but won't complain if life moves me elsewhere. I guess the others appreciated a good underdog story. :laugh: Never mind the healing power of medicine... I'd like to practice the healing power of McDonald's.

I think there is a lot of ER docs that would hate you for saying that.

But in moderation? No one can argue.

I think there is a lot of ER docs that would hate you for saying that.

But in moderation? No one can argue.
But a lot of plastic surgeons who would LOVE me ;)

Personal medical issues and a lengthy period of misdiagnosis lead me to a unique physician who discovered a minor and treatable issue. The difference? She made a personal connection with me and grounded her evaluation in that. Overcoming that issue fostered a lot of personal development and redefined medicine in a way that resonated with me. I ended up shadowing a cardiothoracic surgeon shortly after who further exemplified what inspired me in my experience as a patient. He also reflected all of the critical career aspects I wanted out of medicine and provided a model that I wanted to personify. Volunteer work assured me that I enjoy the reality of being a caregiver as much as the idea of it.

Above all, I want to feel fulfilled in a career ; I want to believe in what I am doing while having an opportunity to explore/grow in my interests and talents. After a tremendous amount of consideration and purposeful experience, I can confidently say medicine is second to none in those regards.

Personal medical issues and a lengthy period of misdiagnosis lead me to a unique physician who discovered a minor and treatable issue. The difference? She made a personal connection with me and grounded her evaluation in that. Overcoming that issue fostered a lot of personal development and redefined medicine in a way that resonated with me. I ended up shadowing a cardiothoracic surgeon shortly after who further exemplified what inspired me in my experience as a patient. He also reflected all of the critical career aspects I wanted out of medicine and provided a model that I wanted to personify. Volunteer work assured me that I enjoy the reality of being a caregiver as much as the idea of it.

Above all, I want to feel fulfilled in a career ; I want to believe in what I am doing while having an opportunity to explore/grow in my interests and talents. After a tremendous amount of consideration and purposeful experience, I can confidently say medicine is second to none in those regards.

I think @Monster_Cat would agree this sounds scripted.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ews-im-really-confused-advice-needed.1160736/

Having both parents diagnosed with cancer, and then dealing with my own struggles of having 7 surgeries to remove a tumor in my ear.

I did not realize I was being interviewed. On a more relevant subject, what is your motivation for going to medical school, StudyLater( from the undecided pre health field)?

Oh come come now dry those eyes it was a joke! A joke! I'm sure you meant it sincerely.

I already said my piece above. Oh and **** I didn't even notice that. I always thought it said pre-med. But you never know with how my MCAT might turn out :)

Oh come come now dry those eyes it was a joke! A joke! I'm sure you meant it sincerely.

I already said my piece above. Oh and **** I didn't even notice that. I always thought it said pre-med. But you never know with how my MCAT might turn out :)

Lol I couldn't pass it up. My writing does tend to sound rather formal but the vast majority of personal statements and interviews will sound scripted and overly formal to an extent. Experience has taught me the bread and butter of selling yourself is to have a focused understanding of why you want to practice medicine and a relevant, personal account of the events/realizations surrounding that decision. Predictability is not a death sentence if it is genuine and meaningful.

Lol I couldn't pass it up. My writing does tend to sound rather formal but the vast majority of personal statements and interviews will sound scripted and overly formal to an extent. Experience has taught me the bread and butter of selling yourself is to have a focused understanding of why you want to practice medicine and a relevant, personal account of the events/realizations surrounding that decision. Predictability is not a death sentence if it is genuine and meaningful.

I agree, and I was partially poking fun at this fact. Sometimes, we do sound scripted, but where do scripts come from? Usually real-life experiences, or some caricature thereof. The OP of the thread I linked literally got rejected on that basis, which I think is sort of an insufficient reason. Though far be it from me to try and make sense out of any of this.

Eh, I was really fascinated whenever my freshman Biology book (that is 9th grade) would go into some of the processes of certain diseases. I also felt like science clicked with me much more easily than other students, so getting good feedback from teachers I feel was essential. And I knew I wanted to be in a service profession.

Made a pretty big save as a lifeguard in high school. Confirmed when I began taking upper level biology and chemistry courses that directly dealt with the human body.

Last edited:
My great Aunt (grandmother's sister) was a surgical nurse for the local clinic/hospital chain. When she retired, she gave me her surgical bag (black embossed leather with the clinic's name on it); I still have it. 45 years later. Yep. I've been a premed my whole life and apparently, going to be one for at least another two years :(

I should probably add my own - Grew up with a father who was a medical oncologist and exposed me to the field of medicine from a young age. Was fortunate enough to spend time in his office and realized I was fascinated by not only the function of the human body but the dysfunction. As I grew older, my interest in medicine developed as did a growing passion for biology. (high school). To pursue my interest further, I spent two summers in high school working in his office which exposed me to many aspects of medicine, both positive and negative. I was able to interact with his patients on a daily basis and see/hear the effects disease had not only on their bodies but their lives. I also saw how the role of physician extended beyond simply diagnosing (is it ever simple? haha) and treating patients, but as a way to support them emotionally and provide comfort. Furthermore I saw how collaborative a discipline medicine is, observing tumor board meetings and watching docs argue in favor of their proposed treatment plans. Basically, I saw how dynamic a field medicine was - constantly changing with the introduction of new technology and practices - and see an opportunity to have a career that not only enables me but challenges me to improve every day. Then, shortly after finishing up working at his practice, he was diagnosed with late stage lung cancer and passed away shortly thereafter. That experienced inevitable strengthened my resolve to pursue a career in medicine. This also gave me a clearer picture and perspective on how illness impacts patient's and their families in a multitude of ways on a daily basis. I have found that my most fulfilling experiences have been those that allow me to provide a service to others and support them. Ultimately, a see a career in medicine as a way to pursue and combine my passions for science with a strong desire to play a role in guiding others through challenging times.

If this sounds too interviewy, sorry but I don't know how else to express/describe this :)