What is a non-invasive orthopedic?

Started by cmudan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

C

cmudan

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard this term used a lot and haven't been able to come up with anything. I've also seen non-surgical orthopedic. I am just trying to compare it to PM&R. Anyone know about training? Programs? Procedures involved?

Is it just as competitive as orth surg?

Thanks
 
Anyone who calls themselves an orthopaedist SHOULD have completed an OS residency. I know several OS who no longer cut, one due to age and another due to some neurological problems. There are two types of sports med fellowship -- one after OS and the other after primary care. Obviously, the FP with a sports medicine fellowship isn't doing surgery.

Ed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
many PM&R docs are an invaluable part of orthopaedic practices, as non-surgeons.
 
I'm familiar with PM&R docs as well as Sports Med Fellowship trained FPs who are considered to practice non-surg orthopedic medicine. I don't think they'd ever call themselves orthopedists. You will find many of these physicians in larger orthopedic groups.

-J