My point above about the internship is not that the surgical internship is what makes someone a surgeon, but in response to BlackSurgeon who seemed to make no distinction between urologists and ob-gyns in terms of training. My point was that Urology is, IMHO, is a surgical specialty and the practitioners surgeons because they do a surgical internship year AND spend an entire residency doing surgical training.
I think
BlackSurgeon is looking at a very limited area of OB/gyn when he says that they are "surgeons." And I guess that perspective is from a pre-med who has only seen one side of what an OB/gyn can do.
Urologists, as you said, spend most of their residency in the OR or on the surgical floors, with maybe 1 day a week in clinic. This mimics what general surgery residents do.
Compare that to OB/gyns who split up their time in the OR, L&D, OB triage, and outpatient/primary care - it is very different. But, if you're a pre-med whose only exposure to OB/gyn is shadowing a physician (who happens to be board certified in that field) in the OR, then you're going to have a
VERY skewed understanding of what the field entails.
BlackSurgeon - I loved the surgical aspect of OB. I like being in the OR, and I love those huge open cases that the gyn onc people do. I had a very tough time deciding between OB/gyn and surgery. Ultimately, though, what swung me to the OB/gyn side was the
other aspects of the field - MFM, L&D, and outpatient gynecological care. Unlike most surgeons, I actually like clinic.

And I enjoy obstetrics, which is something that you rarely touch on in a gen surg residency.
But you can't enjoy the field for these aspects AND insist on saying that they're surgeons.