What is Biophysics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stroszeck

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot, as of late, about the Biophysics programs (PHD) offered at a few select schools across the country.

What exactly is the field of Biophysics? What sort of jobs can one expect to get upon graduation? How competitive is the admissions process? And also, since we're at it, what sort of salaries can a PhD in this field expect to see?

I am very very interested and curious, but unfortunately there's just not that much information available about this program. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Stroszeck said:
I have heard a lot, as of late, about the Biophysics programs (PHD) offered at a few select schools across the country.

What exactly is the field of Biophysics? What sort of jobs can one expect to get upon graduation? How competitive is the admissions process? And also, since we're at it, what sort of salaries can a PhD in this field expect to see?

I am very very interested and curious, but unfortunately there's just not that much information available about this program. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.biophysics.org/careers/

Members don't see this ad :)
Its pretty much just biochem. Things in biochem that tend to be more quantitative tend to be considered biophysics. For example, my lab does advances enzyme kinetics to look at mechanism. This is kind of on the border of biochem/biophysics, my PI is in both the biochem and biophysics programs. Some things are more clearly physics, for example another lab here does femtosecond resolved laser studies of protein dynamic/solvation. They are actually in the physics dept.

housecleaning said:
Looking at their definition, I'm having a hard time distinguishing this from biochem. But it's all good. :D

Biophysics is distinct from biochem if you consider the amount of mathmetics and physics involved in describing and explaining the biological systems under investigation. Just check out a primary article published in the biophysical journal - takes a significant background to appreciate the theories presented.

Stroszeck said:

The physiologic effect of working physics problems. Severe Thermodynamic implications. :laugh: