What is broken down in the mouth?

Started by Fedxup
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fedxup

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mechanically everything. But chemical I have read some conflict answers. Some say only carbohydrates and some say carbs and lipid(kaplan). For the MCAT which one is correct?
 
MCAT is probably only is asking about salivary amylase which breaks down starch.

Had to google the lipid part but apparently any lipid digesting enzymes in saliva are inconsequential and unlikely to be on MCAT.
 
MCAT is probably only is asking about salivary amylase which breaks down starch.

Had to google the lipid part but apparently any lipid digesting enzymes in saliva are inconsequential and unlikely to be on MCAT.
Thank you. I always thought it was carbs for MCAT purposes until I came across a question the the Q-bank of Kaplan.