What is considered an achievement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what is considered an achievement to list in the application?

I know there is a separate place for random questions about the application but I would appreciate different views about this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

According to ADEA: "academic awards, honors, and scholarships" presented to you by "organizations."

Examples off the top of my head: dean's list, latin honors, departmental (major) honors, Phi Beta Kappa (or other honors society) membership, research fellowship, any merit-based scholarship, academic competition prizes (research poster fairs, public speech competitions, etc.), unique and impressive athletic/artistic/musical competition medals.

Do NOT include: high school awards, need-based institutional financial aid, trivial awards, unrecognized achievements (made up by you, not conferred by a credible organization), anything that sounds like BS.

Reactions: 1 users
Any awards or honors you may have earned during your time in undergrad.

According to ADEA: "academic awards, honors, and scholarships" presented to you by "organizations."

Examples off the top of my head: dean's list, latin honors, departmental (major) honors, Phi Beta Kappa (or other honors society) membership, research fellowship, any merit-based scholarship, academic competition prizes (research poster fairs, public speech competitions, etc.), unique and impressive athletic/artistic/musical competition medals.

Do NOT include: high school awards, need-based institutional financial aid, trivial awards, unrecognized achievements (made up by you, not conferred by a credible organization), anything that sounds like BS.

For a second I thought I would leave it blank as I thought I have none.
Haha. You made my day. Thanks to both of you:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Does it have to be a school related athletic competition medal? I do mixed martial arts as a hobby and competition.

Does it have to be a school related athletic competition medal? I do mixed martial arts as a hobby and competition.
can be anything not just school related. in my case they're school related.
you should definitely include those. I still believe that schools look for well-rounded people. because it shows you're involved in other things you like.
i wish they gave you award for hitting the gym 5 times a week :zip:

Reactions: 1 user