What is considered an early application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsfan12

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on reapplying this coming 2016-2017 cycle for both MD and DO programs. I was wondering what is early for application submissions for both AMCAS and AACOMAS. I plan to retake my MCAT on April 28, 2016 and am currently working at a research lab with Urology residents as well a a few other various clinical activities such as shadowing, international clinic trips, etc. I will receive my score on May 30 which when I believe right before the AMCAS app opens and a few weeks into the AACOMAS cycle. Let me know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July and that will be early enough for all schools.

Reactions: 1 user
honestly as a reapplicant, submitting on day 1 will be the best route.

for AMCAS especially, day 1. if you look up this cycle's AMCAS verification, you can gauge a general timeline of how long it takes to verify your application. I think even for people that applied the first day, it often took weeks.

AACOMAS is more forgiving, but there's a thread for that as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
honestly as a reapplicant, submitting on day 1 will be the best route.

for AMCAS especially, day 1. if you look up this cycle's AMCAS verification, you can gauge a general timeline of how long it takes to verify your application. I think even for people that applied the first day, it often took weeks.

AACOMAS is more forgiving, but there's a thread for that as well.
Agreed. Just trying to see best strategy forward. I started studying for my MCAT agains and taking practice tests and all so I hope April 28 will be good for me. With my score coming back at May 30 2017 I would assume that is enough time for me to submit AMCAS and to also submit AACOMAs. I can most likely submit AACOMAS without a new MCAT test score and just update it later even after submission and during verification period. Thanks.

Agreed. Just trying to see best strategy forward. I started studying for my MCAT agains and taking practice tests and all so I hope April 28 will be good for me. With my score coming back at May 30 2017 I would assume that is enough time for me to submit AMCAS and to also submit AACOMAs. I can most likely submit AACOMAS without a new MCAT test score and just update it later even after submission and during verification period. Thanks.
yup, sounds like a good plan. I'd recommend waiting to submit both until you receive your score though; you'd still be pretty early for AACOMAS if you submit soon after your score comes back. and definitely use the time between you get back your score and submission time to revamp your personal statement/prewrite secondaries. good luck!