What is considered early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halligan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not applied to medical school before.

Are there separate deadlines? For example, are there multiple deadlines for the primary app - say July 1, Aug 1, Sep 1, etc. In which everyone that turns their app from July 2-Aug1 would be reviewed at the same time? Or is there just one deadline? If there is just one deadline, what is considered turning your application in early? Is applying the last week in June - 1st week in July still considered to be early on in the admissions process? I assume that they will not review your application without an MCAT score. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I ask because I play on taking the MCAT on the 30th of May. Meaning, I won't be able to get my apps in until probably the first week in July, possibly a little earlier.

Thanks in advance.
-Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

Get your primary in as soon as possible. Schools send you secondaries with different deadlines once they have your MCAT scores...but ignore deadlines and turn in everything right away. You can beat a deadline by a couple of months and still be too late at some places.

dont wait for the MCAT send it in ASAP and then let everything else fall into place.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont wait for the MCAT send it in ASAP and then let everything else fall into place.
How will that work? they will send a secondary app without an mcat? how does updating your mcat score work - call the school, i assume?

How will that work? they will send a secondary app without an mcat? how does updating your mcat score work - call the school, i assume?

No, they wait to get your scores. However, they will have all of your documents in their system at that point which could save lots of time during initial review. Get your primary in right away even without your MCAT scores.

it takes like 1 day for the AAMC to report your MCAT after the publishing date. As opposed to almost 1 month for your primary to be processes. Even if you havent done stuff yet but are planning to or are in the process of doing it ie (shadowing, volunteer, ect. ). Put it on the application you can update the MCAT, and classes at a later date. The application goes live in june I believe. I know I'll be jumping on it early. Actually, be thinking about your personal statement now and organize a resume

it takes like 1 day for the AAMC to report your MCAT after the publishing date. As opposed to almost 1 month for your primary to be processes. Even if you havent done stuff yet but are planning to or are in the process of doing it ie (shadowing, volunteer, ect. ). Put it on the application you can update the MCAT, and classes at a later date. The application goes live in june I believe. I know I'll be jumping on it early. Actually, be thinking about your personal statement now and organize a resume

OK thank you both, again. that makes a lot more since. I assume, updating is very easy, correct? I'll jump on it early, that was my plan.

- Kyle

No, they wait to get your scores. However, they will have all of your documents in their system at that point which could save lots of time during initial review. Get your primary in right away even without your MCAT scores.

If the primary is treated anything like the secondary, then its not even going to be looked at by the school until they get all the pieces. However, AMCAS or AACOMAS might start going through your transcript info while they wait (this process takes 1-1.5 months, if there are no problems). But I'd check w/ them directly whether this is true.

As for primary deadlines, It varies by school, so you have to check each school's website for that info. If you're going DO you can look at this chart: http://www.aacom.org/colleges/deadlines.asp.

Submitting your 1ary during the summer is early and ideal. Waiting until the Fall is considered late (mostly for MD schools, DO schools tend to have a later app cycle).

I applied in December for both primary and secondary applications. No problems.

if you have competitive stats for the schools you are applying to, applying early would be very advantageous...however, if your stats aren't as competitive, they may put you on hold even if you apply the first day the cycle opens....