What is considered "General Bio?!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxx52188

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my Junior College, There are 4 primary bio classes;

Bio 10: Introduction to Principles of Bio (4 units)

Bio 2.1: Cell and Molecular (5units)

Bio 2.2: Evolution, Genetics, and Zoology(5units)

Bio 2.3: Botany And Ecology(5units)

All of which have labs

In descending order, the next class requires the class before (2.1 req 10, 2.2 req 2.1, etc.)

My question is, where does my one year of general bio start?! Im trying to map out my schedule for the next couple of years, and if i have to take 2.1, and 2.2 it will put me back a year!

Bio 10 is a req for my major, as well as anatomy, physio, and genetics, so out of the ladder three, I think i have atleast 1/2 of the bio req for med school, right?

What it really comes down to for me is where "general bio" is considered to start.

I guess i have a second question, do anatomy, physio, and/or genetics fulfill any portion of the one year of "general bio req?"

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like the Bio 10 and either 2.2 or 2.3 will do for a year of "general Bio." Most schools do Bio I and II where Bio I is stuff like the TCA cycle and Punnett squares and Bio II is zoology and ecological stuff.

I guess I would recommend the 10 and the 2.2 in your case. Hope this helps.

The anatomy, physio, etc can fulfill requirements, I think. But you're probably better off doing those as "upper level" classes. Many times you can use upper level classes to replace General Bio, but that's usually with AP credits and stuff. You should be fine either way.

At my Junior College, There are 4 primary bio classes;

Bio 10: Introduction to Principles of Bio (4 units)

Bio 2.1: Cell and Molecular (5units)

Bio 2.2:Evolution, Genetics, and Zoology(5units)

Bio 2.3: Botany And Ecology(5units)

All of which have labs

In descending order, the next class requires the class before (2.1 req 10, 2.2 req 2.1, etc.)

My question is, where does my one year of general bio start?! Im trying to map out my schedule for the next couple of years, and if i have to take 2.1, and 2.2 it will put me back a year!

Bio 10 is a req for my major, as well as anatomy, physio, and genetics, so out of the ladder three, I think i have atleast 1/2 of the bio req for med school, right?

What it really comes down to for me is where "general bio" is considered to start.

I guess i have a second question, do anatomy, physio, and/or genetics fulfill any portion of the one year of "general bio req?"

Thanks everyone!

The problem is "one year of general biology" isn't always offered. My school started you at invertebrate zoology, then vertebrate zoology, somewhere you took botany, then the upper level genetics and cell biology as well as ecology came into play. Basically, you need two biology classes. If put in your position I'd take 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my previous school it was called principles of biology, not general biology, but they had a 1 & 2 part

The problem is "one year of general biology" isn't always offered. My school started you at invertebrate zoology, then vertebrate zoology, somewhere you took botany, then the upper level genetics and cell biology as well as ecology came into play. Basically, you need two biology classes. If put in your position I'd take 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3.

I think the general bio requirement is fullfilled with any lower division, college-level series of courses that deal with biology primarily. I'd say 10, 2.1 and 2.2 will certainly do. Choose 2 or however many make up a year out of the 3.

2.3 might not work out at some schools. Certain schools exclude botany from the general bio pre-req. Just to be on the safe side, I would avoid it and only take it for personal interest (if it applies to you).

This is a general bio 2 semester course that would fulfill the pre-med req (ignore the course numbers as it is different with each college/university).

BIOL 171 Introduction to Biology I (3)
Introductory biology for all life science majors. Cell structure and chemistry; growth, reproduction, genetics, evolution, viruses, bacteria, and simple eukaryotes. Pre: CHEM 151 (or concurrent), 161 (or concurrent), CHEM 171 (or concurrent), CHEM 181A (or concurrent), or consent. Co-requisite: 171L.

BIOL 171L Introduction to Biology I Lab (1) (1 3-hr Lab) Laboratory to accompany 171. Pre: CHEM 151 (or concurrent), 161 (or concurrent), CHEM 171 (or concurrent), CHEM 181A (or concurrent), or consent. Co-requisite: 171.

BIOL 172 Introduction to Biology II (3) Continuation of 171. Anatomy, physiology, and systematics of plants and animals; behavior; ecosystems, populations, and communities. Pre: C (not C-) or better in 171/171L.

BIOL 172L Introduction to Biology II Lab (1) (1 3-hr Lab) Laboratory to accompany 172. Pre: C (not C-) or better in 171/171L.

Awesome. It looks like I'm going to be covered without taking the 2.x series. Btw, it looks like some people think I'm on the quarter system, but my JC is semester n

I think the general bio requirement is fullfilled with any lower division, college-level series of courses that deal with biology primarily. I'd say 10, 2.1 and 2.2 will certainly do. Choose 2 or however many make up a year out of the 3.

2.3 might not work out at some schools. Certain schools exclude botany from the general bio pre-req. Just to be on the safe side, I would avoid it and only take it for personal interest (if it applies to you).

I only suggested he take 2.3 to get the whole sequence. :p 2.1 and 2.2 are probably adequate.

Well, I'm banking on the notion that out of bio 10, anatomy, physio, and genetics, I'll get my year of bio

at a jr college in my area the have a bio 1.1 1.2 and 1.3 with similar course titles like that. They transfer to our state unversity as equivalent to bio 1 and bio 2. Try and find a transfer agreement with a University to figure out what they are equivalent with.

Bio 10 is clearly not the more rigorous option so I'd avoid it.

Well, I'm banking on the notion that out of bio 10, anatomy, physio, and genetics, I'll get my year of bio

Yeah, same here. Between my taking vertebrate zoology, general microbiology, general botany, field biology, environmental biology, anatomy and physiology I and II and later genetics and cell biology I'm thinking I'll have my eight hours of general biology done as well.

Yeah, same here. Between my taking vertebrate zoology, general microbiology, general botany, field biology, environmental biology, anatomy and physiology I and II and later genetics and cell biology I'm thinking I'll have my eight hours of general biology done as well.

Haha dude you totally one-upped. I'm hoping between 4 questionable classes I'll get my year req. Yours is between 9!

I think that should do it. I have 1 "intro/cell" bio course and a bunch of other ones (genetics, micro, neuro, immuno, animal physio, mammalian physio, etc).

If a school asks on a secondary for me to list the courses I used intro and micro, then I used micro and animal physio. Both worked out, so I think you should be fine too.

Cool. I'm also going to the Santa Rosa Junior College!