what is disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hospitaldoctor1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend Kate is applying to med school and she is considering to apply as a disadvantaged student.
She qualifies for FAP, her parents are divorced, her father does not pay any custody, her family used gov't welfare during a few of her early years, and most of her college education was paid by grants, financial aid, and loans.
Does she make the cut off? What constitutes disadvantage status exactly?
She says she does not want to apply for disadvantaged if it will make her come across as being a complainer/whiner and if she really does not qualify for it. Does not want to hurt her chances.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So she asked you to ask a bunch of pretentious pre-meds about it? Makes sense I guess.

Personally, I wouldn't. But truly that is just what I would do. If she thinks she can substantiate how it negatively impacted her progress, then go for it. I think it's really a personal decision, not something that can easily fit into a set formula.

This question has been discussed extensively on the boards if you do a search. The AMCAS 2010 instructions state that disadvantaged status is self-determined, although it also lists some criteria. For what it's worth, I think qualifying for FAP is a pretty good indication of being disadvantaged. It's an objective standard with documentary verification. Hard to argue against that.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend would like to know... if you qualify for FAP... should you definitely apply for Disadvantaged?
So do medical schools verify your disadvantage status? How?

You're right, but unfortunately, as a disadvantaged student, she does not own a computer. As a friend, I am just trying to help her out when she asks for my opinion. I do not want to give her the wrong answer. I didn't think there was anything wrong from asking bright premed students on her behalf. I apologize.