What is Dreaming?

Started by indya
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

indya

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it isn't neccesarily medically relevant, but what are dreams? Is there much research being done on this topic?
 
Im guessing you recently watched Inception. If not, you should, it was a good one.

As for what dreams are...im sorry I am not informed enough to have a single combined view after hearing several different theories.
 
Like the previous poster said there are several different theories regarding the purpose/meaning of dreams. It seems as if most of the research has focused on the pattern or areas of brain activity during REM sleep and dreaming.

Here is a fairly recent article from Nature:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19794431
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks for the article. and yes, I did just watch inception. in fact, I went to the midnight show. I was against it at first, but I realized that being delirious at 2 AM would only add to the magnificence of the show.
 
Like the previous poster said there are several different theories regarding the purpose/meaning of dreams. It seems as if most of the research has focused on the pattern or areas of brain activity during REM sleep and dreaming.

Here is a fairly recent article from Nature:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19794431

I was about to suggest the same article. It's a really good one. Marc Solms has written a good book (at least I heard it's good) on the subject too, although his Freudianesque interpretation isn't for everyone (I've heard).
 
The brains nightly/daily, much needed vacation. Don't trust these MDs. Trust me. I have a BA in psychology. 😀