what is expected of a new path resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macrocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a brand new path resident is starting, what level of pathology knoweledge is expected. Lets say the resident did only one path rotation and has no more knoweledge than the average 4th year med student in terms of pathology. Would that resident be in trouble, or is accepted that the resident will start at a very low level. I know in virtually all other fields, a fairly high level of competance is expected right off the bat. An intern already knows how to write orders, do H&P's, admit and DC pt's, etc. If a intern started and didn't know the basics they would proably get terminated in no time. While I think I would have little difficulty in starting a clinical internship as I have been taught the basics of clinical medicine, I feel that I would be almost useless in the first few months as a path resident. I know a lot of residents have many path roations or did a PSF, but how would it be for someone who has only minimal experience. Is it time for me to start going through robbin's and ackerman's, or would be better to take step 3 and relax, and learn as I go when residency starts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I don't know diddly squat going into residency. I'll get back to ya on this a couple months into residency :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yaah and others have mentioned that the learning curve for Path. is very high. So, while it may seem that Path. residents are leading the high life, they are likely at Starbucks reading. Come to think of it, reading at Starbucks is the high life! :thumbup:

BTW, I now have 50+ posts. Where are the bells and whistles? I always expected bells and whistles. It's 3a.m., and no bells and whistles. :confused: I'm going to bed!

mosche said:
BTW, I now have 50+ posts. Where are the bells and whistles? I always expected bells and whistles. It's 3a.m., and no bells and whistles. :confused: I'm going to bed!

Bells or no bells, we're still happy you're here!! :)

I know in virtually all other fields, a fairly high level of competance is expected right off the bat. An intern already knows how to write orders, do H&P's, admit and DC pt's, etc. If a intern started and didn't know the basics they would proably get terminated in no time

?? How does writing orders imply a "high level of competence??" Writing orders etc, is clerical work. Most interns in clinical fields don't know squat. Heck, I've met some pgy-3 medicine residents that have been less than impressive.

You've got nothing to worry about.

mosche said:

I have composed a great oratorio in your honor. The first performance will be with Ben Heppner as the tenor and Renee Fleming as the soprano. I think you will be fairly moved. The second movement, for example, features a trumpet solo symbolizing your heroic rise to prominence. I am planning on the premiere for two weeks from tonight but we are still ironing out some union issues with the viola section. Either way, the performance will be preceded by a 5 course meal and a champagne toast.

yaah said:
Visiting prof: I have been told on several occasions by OR staff to fornicate myself in unnatural ways.
Eminent local prof: As opposed to normally when you just tell yourself how to do that?
Visiting prof: Precisely.
:laugh: Would that be Andy (and yaah) in 30 years? :laugh:

yaah said:
I have composed a great oratorio in your honor. The first performance will be with Ben Heppner as the tenor and Renee Fleming as the soprano. I think you will be fairly moved. The second movement, for example, features a trumpet solo symbolizing your heroic rise to prominence. I am planning on the premiere for two weeks from tonight but we are still ironing out some union issues with the viola section. Either way, the performance will be preceded by a 5 course meal and a champagne toast.

yeah...how incredibly lame.

mosche, i'll buy you a pitcher of beer. that should settle it.

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
There's a 5-course meal and champagne toast. I don't see any downside at all.

Re: the quote - It wasn't from another thread. It's in EVERY thread now ;)
oh dear...the gates of hell have opened.

your quotes are like yaah's posting of the stupid girl from aliens and appending the word "mostly" to all his posts.

AndyMilonakis said:
oh dear...the gates of hell have opened.

your quotes are like yaah's posting of the stupid girl from aliens and appending the word "mostly" to all his posts.
I don't see how my quote (singular) of yaah's signature is like yaah's reiteration of "mostly". Do elaborate.

deschutes said:
I don't see how my quote (singular) of yaah's signature is like yaah's reiteration of "mostly". Do elaborate.
um...yeah. that's my bad. i just noticed that yaah added that to his signature...your previous post on the matter makes much more sense now.

Mrbojangles said:
Or "it depends" ;).
"It depends" is mine. :D
I have cornered the international market by sitting on the fence.

yaah said:
Visiting prof: I have been told on several occasions by OR staff to fornicate myself in unnatural ways.
Eminent local prof: As opposed to normally when you just tell yourself how to do that?
For the sake of clarity, I will ask a stupid question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the visiting prof is referring to the expression "Go **** yourself up the ***". What was the U of M prof's reference?

deschutes said:
For the sake of clarity, I will ask a stupid question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the visiting prof is referring to the expression "Go **** yourself up the ***". What was the U of M prof's reference?

Pretty much so, yes. He didn't get specific, but I think one of the surgeons told him go **** himself in the ***.

The U of M prof was making a subtle jab in return.

yaah said:

Now that's more like it! I knew that there had to be something to commemorate my fiftieth post, but this is better than winning the Tennessee lottery -- the viola and champagne! Afterwards I'll meet Andy and celebrate like a true Southerner: buckets of beer. Heck, I'll even bring my new teeth -- they sure be purty! :D :D

mosche said:
Now that's more like it! I knew that there had to be something to commemorate my fiftieth post, but this is better than winning the Tennessee lottery -- the viola and champagne! Afterwards I'll meet Andy and celebrate like a true Southerner: buckets of beer. Heck, I'll even bring my new teeth -- they sure be purty! :D :D
haha...the buckets of beer. haven't really come across this in Michigan much...well there is one place that sells 'em...

AndyMilonakis said:
haha...the buckets of beer. haven't really come across this in Michigan much...well there is one place that sells 'em...

There is indeed a bar in Mi where they will dispense beer to you in a bucket. I always wanted to buy one of those gigantic Pixie Sticks and use it as a straw. Did you know they won't sell you a bucket o' beer unless you have something like 5 people at the table? WTF...

Lagarta said:
There is indeed a bar in Mi where they will dispense beer to you in a bucket. I always wanted to buy one of those gigantic Pixie Sticks and use it as a straw. Did you know they won't sell you a bucket o' beer unless you have something like 5 people at the table? WTF...
well that makes TWO places where they sell buckets of beer in MI. the place i had in mind didn't require having 5+ ppl at the table. but see, this establishment would not argue with ya if you wanted to give it more and more money (if you know what i mean :laugh: )

AndyMilonakis said:
well that makes TWO places where they sell buckets of beer in MI. the place i had in mind didn't require having 5+ ppl at the table. but see, this establishment would not argue with ya if you wanted to give it more and more money (if you know what i mean :laugh: )

OR, alternatively there may only be one- perhaps we are thinking of the same establishment. But, if you are in Ann Arbor you may not have wanted to visit the place I'm thinking of. It is in
(que the villian music)...
East Lansing
(que the sound track of shocked and dismayed outcry)

now that you mention East Lansing, i'm sure we're talking about different establishments. believe it or not, in all the years i've lived in michigan, i have not gone out drinking in Lansing.

the place i was talking about was a strip club near Detroit Airport...called the Flight Club.

AndyMilonakis said:
now that you mention East Lansing, i'm sure we're talking about different establishments. believe it or not, in all the years i've lived in michigan, i have not gone out drinking in Lansing.

the place i was talking about was a strip club near Detroit Airport...called the Flight Club.

Then you, sir, are correct. There are 2 bucket o' beer bars. Who knew? Mine is named Crunchies. With a name like that and T-shirt slogans like "more drunk lawyers" I can't understand why they were so picky about taking our money!