What is fair in the match process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ursus Martimus

Ursus Martimus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine contacted a program in a highly competitive field. The program claims to be an ERAS/NMRP program. The PD answered all my friend's questions and then wrote in his email that the program had "numeorus inhouse qualified candidates" Now nothing can really stop them from making their choice but seem to me that such a bold statement not only violates the spirit of the NRMP system but seem a violation. Meanwhile, my application, submitted the first day has not been down loaded by the program.

What's up with that?

Members don't see this ad.

why is it a problem if the hospital considers applicants which they already know?

the sentiment of the situation is that they are only interested in those candidates.

Ursus Martimus said:
the sentiment of the situation is that they are only interested in those candidates.

It's unfortunate, and that program is probably doing itself a disservice by discouraging outside applicants, but it's still not an NRMP violation. Why would it be? They can consider or not consider anyone they like.

It seems that they were doing your friend a favor by letting them know that the competition will be tough, as they already have people they know and like who have applied and are interested in the program.

By the way, a statement like that does not necessarily imply that a contract outside of the match has been made with these "in-house applicants". Perhaps that is what you are concerned about?

Maybe the PD was trying to be helpful by saying that the total number of slots available may be a little lower than face value because they are going to rank in house people high.

Ursus Martimus said:
A friend of mine contacted a program in a highly competitive field. The program claims to be an ERAS/NMRP program. The PD answered all my friend's questions and then wrote in his email that the program had "numeorus inhouse qualified candidates" Now nothing can really stop them from making their choice but seem to me that such a bold statement not only violates the spirit of the NRMP system but seem a violation. Meanwhile, my application, submitted the first day has not been down loaded by the program.

What's up with that?

Hi, Thanks for the info Ursus.
I have seen your posts in the rad onc forum in the past. Since your "friend" is also applying to a highly competitive field, I was wondering if your "friend" is also talking about an experience in rad onc application process.
If so would you mind letting me know which program made this claim because I also have other "friends" who are applying this year. This will give my "friend" an opportunity to verify your statement and, if true, focus on other programs where "he" will have a better shot at getting a residency. Thanks.

Ursus Martimus said:

What's up with that?

If your "friend" was indeed a very competative candidate in this competative field, there should be no problem in matching, right? Or are you suggesting that the program is taking less competative applicants?

It sounds like the program was trying to be nice/beat around the bush by providing a hint that your friend isn't competative at their program.

At any rate, the match should never require that programs take unknown applicants over applicants that the program knows to be solid, prepared individuals. If I were competing for a position and worked by azz-off in-house with a program, it wouldn't be fair to me for an outsider to be given special consideration because the match says a program has to.