What is going on with my app process...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got another wait list today so I figured to share my thoughts on this process:

I have a pretty high GPA and a high MCAT; good extra-currics; good letters; etc. I've interviewed at 16 MD schools so far and I've only been accepted to 1 school (my state school; not a very good med school in my opinion) and wait listed at 12 other places. I have quite a few more interviews left to attend but I feel like I am not doing something correctly during my interviews. In all of my interviews, I've never been able to walk out of the interviewer's office feeling like I aced it. I've always felt I did ok or decent but not astounding although there was one that I completely butchered. Is there something wrong with the way I'm interviewing? I've done the mock interviews at my undergrad and by now, I pretty much can recite the same questions I get asked at any interview. I feel like I may be talking a little too fast since I've noticed a lot of interviewers have cut me off mid-sentence to inquire further. I also kind of stutter and have a hard time pronouncing certain phrases when I talk (this is nothing language-related; it's just that I get nervous and start mis-using words). Could these be possible reasons why I'm getting wait listed instead of accepted?

I'm really just kinda shocked right now..

Members don't see this ad.

That is quite a high number of waitlists. Have you tried videotaping yourself during a mock interview? You may be able to see something(s) you are doing weird/wrong. Regardless, take comfort in the fact that you will go to medical school next year. Also, try writing some well-thought out letters of interests to those wait-list schools. You may be able to sway a couple of them in your favor.

Hey Syndicate,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds as if you've answered your own question, and us readers only know as much as you have reported to us. So when you report us potential reasons for your failures, we are likely to latch onto those reasons as the likely reasons. On that note, yes, being visibly nervous can sometimes be a problem. Also, if you've been "reciting" responses, then you're likely giving every interviewer the same responses. If these responses are poor, then you're systematically giving interviewers bad answers, which would explain how uniformly poorly you've done, with 12 waitlists. I'd think about if there were any common questions across these 12 schools---your response to those common questions may have hurt you. Try thinking of some new answers after identifying why some of your old answers may have been poor. In addition, most rehearsed answers sound rehearsed, and interviewers will think you're not genuine. You want to seem real. I agree you should try videotaping yourself in a mock interview, then watch it yourself and with a third party who can give you some honest outside feedback.

You may want to call these schools and ask what went wrong. With 12 schools at least a few should be willing to give a substantive response.

Also, it could be an unflattering statement or backhanded compliment in your letters of recommendation that have done you in. You never know.

I also wonder if you've applied to a good mix of schools. If you've applied to too many "reach" schools---and only reach schools---then you may have set these 12 bars just too high for yourself and just barely missed the mark. But because you applied so consistently top-heavy, your application may have been deemed "barely not enough" for these schools---in this case, your interviews were unlikely the cause of the consistent failure. Rather, your choice of schools was the failure.

I hope you have better luck with your future interviews. Remember, a waitlist is not equivalent to a rejection. Keep fighting and some of them may accept you after all. Especially when you have 12 bags you can punch.

~pyrrion89

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Syndicate,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds as if you've answered your own question, and us readers only know as much as you have reported to us. So when you report us potential reasons for your failures, we are likely to latch onto those reasons as the likely reasons. On that note, yes, being visibly nervous can sometimes be a problem. Also, if you've been "reciting" responses, then you're likely giving every interviewer the same responses. If these responses are poor, then you're systematically giving interviewers bad answers, which would explain how uniformly poorly you've done, with 12 waitlists. I'd think about if there were any common questions across these 12 schools---your response to those common questions may have hurt you. Try thinking of some new answers after identifying why some of your old answers may have been poor. In addition, most rehearsed answers sound rehearsed, and interviewers will think you're not genuine. You want to seem real. I agree you should try videotaping yourself in a mock interview, then watch it yourself and with a third party who can give you some honest outside feedback.

You may want to call these schools and ask what went wrong. With 12 schools at least a few should be willing to give a substantive response.

Also, it could be an unflattering statement or backhanded compliment in your letters of recommendation that have done you in. You never know.

I also wonder if you've applied to a good mix of schools. If you've applied to too many "reach" schools---and only reach schools---then you may have set these 12 bars just too high for yourself and just barely missed the mark. But because you applied so consistently top-heavy, your application may have been deemed "barely not enough" for these schools---in this case, your interviews were unlikely the cause of the consistent failure. Rather, your choice of schools was the failure.

I hope you have better luck with your future interviews. Remember, a waitlist is not equivalent to a rejection. Keep fighting and some of them may accept you after all. Especially when you have 12 bags you can punch.

~pyrrion89

Absolutely agree with the first two paragraphs here. It may be difficult, but try to relax and enjoy the interviews and let your personality come out. In other words, be yourself. If you have been, well, be someone else that you envision to be successful in this process :)

I don't think your letters or school selection are the problem. You have 16 interviews. The 12 waitlists indicate a problem with the interview itself, unless these numbers are an anomaly, of course.

Lastly, remember, that you are likely to get offered from several of these waitlists. So, don't panic.

Best,

I suspect that there is nothing in your file affecting your application negatively. You have so many interview invites that you've certainly interviewed at programs that use a variety of criteria to offer interviews -- I think more of the schools would be screening you out pre-interview if it were something in your application packet -- I suspect there are enough programs that skim LORs before an interview invite to prevent you from getting 20 interviews if it were a negative LOR.

At some schools waitlists move a lot, especially between now and next August. So, I'd bet that you get off a few of them. I agree that some thoughtful letters of intent could be useful.

With the assumption it's the interview . . .
Can you give an example of some questions you have been asked repeatedly and the gist of your answers . . . in particular what are you saying for the ubiquitous "why medicine?" Were you asked personal questions (tell me about yourself, what do you do for fun, etc.), and how did you answer those? What is an example of a question that tripped you up, and what was the answer you gave?

Are you struggling with anxiety? If so, if you're still in school, I would avail yourself of counseling services to get tools to calm yourself, to prevent your nervous behaviors, or even to talk through some of the source of your anxiety and maybe help you reframe your perspective (OMG, I have an ACCEPTANCE!!!! instead of . . . F*#!, I'm on 12 waitlists). It might also be worthwhile to even go talk to your physician, because there are medications that you can take prior to stressful events if you essentially have performance anxiety. Are you overdoing the caffeine pre-interview?

Are you dressing appropriately for the interview? Do you have body art of body modification that could make people wary of admitting you?
Aside from the stuttering, is there anything about the way you speak that would make you seem less . . . professional?

First, major props on getting 16 interviews. WOW!

I'm thinking that you are three possibilities. The first possibility is that you're interviewing at top-tier schools where everything has to be strong, including the interview. So maybe you are doing a good job, but the competition is just intense. The wait-list may represent that your performance was middling.

The second possibility is that you're really tanking the interview. Your application is very strong for a particular school, but you failed to show sufficient [insert personal quality here]. Or it could be the school is trying to manage its yield, so they waitlist you and possibly accept you later. This could be the case for schools that you're way too overqualified for.

The third possibility is that there is something in your application that raised a flag. Your other attributes are strong enough to merit further consideration, but they'll be looking for confirmation of these flags in the interview.

I'd say you want to show your best, authentic self during the interview. It's not the time for pre-canned answers or treating it like an exam.

I'm sorry for your frustrations. It's expensive and emotionally draining to go through that many interviews and get that many wait lists. They do seem to want everything these days: great academics, MCAT, EC's, leadership, personal statement, letters, personally engaging applicant who fits great at this school and will most likely attend so that they can manage their high yield.

well, the good news is with that many wait lists, I would think at least some of them will result in an eventual acceptance, especially since you've interviewed early and have high stats. The problem has to be your interview, even if you've interviewed at the top 16 schools in the country, with a good interview you would have gotten at least a couple acceptances.

Something that helped me was recording my responses to standard questions. When I listened back I realized that I can be kind of a slow talker and monotone at times. I made a major effort to be more engaging and to pick up the pace a little. What kinds of feedback did your mock interview give back to you? If you know there will be certain problems with stuttering/pronunciation no matter how much you practice, you could always make a little joke about it during the interview just to show that you have a sense of humor about it and to cut some of the tension. There were times when I couldn't actually remember what I had or had not told the interviewer already - just because my head was jumbled from the previous interviewer - and I would stop for a second and ask, and then make some kind of a light joke about forgetting what I've said. Interviews are usually friendly and have a decent sense of humor.

thanks for the responses everyone.

I think my problem is that I talk too fast during the interview and I'm pretty nervous/anxious the entire time and that contributes to my stuttering and mis-pronounciation. I also have a bunch of thoughts and words racing through my head when I'm responding so that gets my words tangled up and I end up using an awkward word/phrase when I meant something else. Even so, I still don't think this warrants 12 waitlists and I'm interviewing across the board so not just top tier schools. I guess it's just bad luck so far

They know you are nervous, I doubt that nervous mannerisms would do you in at this many schools. Share some of your answers (like why medicine) with your preprof office if your school has one. Maybe you don't seem genuine or your attitude is coming off as poor.

Also, you have an acceptance, you are going to be a doctor. Be proud and grateful...

I didn't read your reasons the first time I skimmed through, but I already arrived at the same conclusion. You interviewed poorly. You're likely understating how poorly you actually did to yourself (I did this). Work on your interviewing skills. You'll need them for residency matching!

It could be other stuff too. Basics like how you dress, personal hygiene, maybe an excessive amount of cologne or perfume. Perhaps you're focusing on the interview without realizing it's an interview day: if you're not nice to the office staff, tour guides, or other applicants you're sunk.

Reactions: 1 user
They know you are nervous, I doubt that nervous mannerisms would do you in at this many schools. Share some of your answers (like why medicine) with your preprof office if your school has one. Maybe you don't seem genuine or your attitude is coming off as poor.

Also, you have an acceptance, you are going to be a doctor. Be proud and grateful...
Different people have different levels of nervousness. For some people it can be completely debilitating. They expect some amount of nerves, but they also expect you to still be able to function like a human being. Part of the interview is making sure that's you're able to interact with others, which they can't do if you're that nervous. To me, though, the OP's nerves don't sound like they're that bad, unless he's downplaying it here.

Let me preface an addendum by saying I don't know the op and I'm not trying to be judgemental. But it is possible that your interviewers are picking up on a lack of social skills that would be harmful in most medical settings. I'm not saying that's the case, just a possibility. And it may not be the op's fault. I knew a couple guys in college who had Aspergers- they were utterly brilliant people who overcame a lot of personal issues to get where they were, but I could see why people may not want to have them as their doctor, based on first impressions alone. Myself, i would be fine with that only because I got to know them, but what would an interviewer do?

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh...still getting website problems...

Last edited:
I also would second what someone said above about trying to reframe the situation in your head. Don't be upset about the large number of waitlists. You only need one acceptance and you already got it! Take a breath before the rest of your interviews and remind yourself that you ARE going to med school. Anything else is lagniappe.

Quick update:

I now have 15 waitlists and still just 1 acceptance. I need to hear back from Tulane still and I have 7 interviews coming up soon. I went to my advisor and he told me that there's nothing "wrong" with my application and that I probably have bad interviewing skills. We did a semi "mock" interview and he told me that some of my glaring weaknesses are: talking too fast and sounding nervous, not showing enough enthusiasm, and being very direct in terms of answering questions instead of trying to spark conversation. I've noticed all these things before and I am mindful of them during interviews but it's just really hard to change my way of talking/interviewing. Thanks for all the advice.

To all future applicants, don't take medical school for granted. I thought with 20+ interviews, I'd have at least 5 acceptances and will end up nitpicking between between financial aid packages. Obviously that's not the case, at least right now, and I've been humbled by this process so far.

OK - You talk too fast and scramble your words when you are nervous. You know this, have tried to change it, but have not yet succeeded.

So admit it. Take a deep breath, and simply tell your interviewer that you really like this school and that you've got to admit that you're nervous -- And when you're nervous, you talk too fast and scramble your words sometimes. It's something you're working on, but that when you're not nervous, it's not a problem. (If you can back up that assertion with a specific LOR, so much the better.) Interviewers will generally really want to help you, but have to be able to believe that you will succeed once you get there.

If your speaking habits are truly only a problem when you're nervous, maybe inquire about a mild anti-anxiety med and try it out pre-interview to make sure it doesn't make you foggy or sluggish. Social anxiety issues (if that is what this is) tend to be very responsive to treatment. Why not try that?

I'd also suggest that you think up some open-ended corollary questions that you could ask to get the interviewer speaking more and you speaking less. "What was it that drew you to this school?" "Your specialty (insert name) sounds really interesting. What about your specialty most attracted you?"

Quick update:

I now have 15 waitlists and still just 1 acceptance. I need to hear back from Tulane still and I have 7 interviews coming up soon. I went to my advisor and he told me that there's nothing "wrong" with my application and that I probably have bad interviewing skills. We did a semi "mock" interview and he told me that some of my glaring weaknesses are: talking too fast and sounding nervous, not showing enough enthusiasm, and being very direct in terms of answering questions instead of trying to spark conversation. I've noticed all these things before and I am mindful of them during interviews but it's just really hard to change my way of talking/interviewing. Thanks for all the advice.

To all future applicants, don't take medical school for granted. I thought with 20+ interviews, I'd have at least 5 acceptances and will end up nitpicking between between financial aid packages. Obviously that's not the case, at least right now, and I've been humbled by this process so far.

It might be hard but you really should work on it. Not just be aware of it, but actively practice improving with people who can give you good feedback.

This weakness is only going to become more relevant as time goes on--patient interactions, residency interviews, etc...

Keep in mind that interviews are an incredibly subjective process, and there could be a million possible excuses. But in general it sounds like you lack self-confidence in yourself and any passion for your activities... I imagine you in my head as a very robotic person. Honestly I am not super passionate for my activities either, but I learned to fake it for the sake of the interview.

OK - You talk too fast and scramble your words when you are nervous. You know this, have tried to change it, but have not yet succeeded.

It's something you're working on, but that when you're not nervous, it's not a problem. (If you can back up that assertion with a specific LOR, so much the better.) Interviewers will generally really want to help you, but have to be able to believe that you will succeed once you get there.

If your speaking habits are truly only a problem when you're nervous, maybe inquire about a mild anti-anxiety med and try it out pre-interview to make sure it doesn't make you foggy or sluggish. Social anxiety issues (if that is what this is) tend to be very responsive to treatment. Why not try that?

I'd also suggest that you think up some open-ended corollary questions that you could ask to get the interviewer speaking more and you speaking less. "What was it that drew you to this school?" "Your specialty (insert name) sounds really interesting. What about your specialty most attracted you?"

Syndicate - DokterMom just threw some wisdom down. This is excellent advice. Follow it. :)

A lot of sound counsel in these posts OP. Suggest that you go to your school's counseling center and chat with someone about your nervousness. Definitely take a moment ot ponder interview questions, and do NOT babble. If you're getting cut off in mid-sentence, you're babbling.

I feel like I may be talking a little too fast since I've noticed a lot of interviewers have cut me off mid-sentence to inquire further. I also kind of stutter and have a hard time pronouncing certain phrases when I talk (this is nothing language-related; it's just that I get nervous and start mis-using words). Could these be possible reasons why I'm getting wait listed instead of accepted?

Syndicate (hey, maybe they have figured out your SDN identity and are just intimidated by your nickname? JK),

Well, first of all, AWESOME JOB on getting so many interviews and actually having energy to go on all of them. As a person who does lots of public speaking, I would like to add to the plethora of great comments already provided here, by suggesting you to just practice communicating with people that you may not feel as comfortable around as you do with your friends. The more you try to express your thoughts coherently and calmly, the better it will go. Interviews are stressful, of course, and it is completely understandable that you get nervous. However, since you KNOW what the problem is, you may as well take the steps to fix it. Even if you do not have any more interviews to go to, you will have to go through the same process for residencies, not to mention that you will have to talk to patients all the time...and that's stressful too.

Finally (almost done, I promise), find something about your application that you are truly passionate about. You DO want to be a doctor, and I am sure you have a compelling reason for it (besides having MD license plates and being able to park everywhere... JK again); get excited about this reason (or many reasons) and share the excitement with your interviewers. :)

The best of luck to you!