What is important 3rd/4th year? Specifically KCOM vs MSUCOM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungFaithful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still deciding between these two schools and have figured out that the first 2 years at every school are basically the same. This means that the only significant difference would be clinical rotations.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the rotations at these schools?

In general what is important to look for in clin rotations?

Opinions from current 3/4 year students would be great, especially if attending these schools.

YF

Members don't see this ad.

You are right, first two years mean little in the grand scheme and are basically the same everywhere, just slightly different flavor. i would say that msu has better rotation sites(and is a better school for a variety of other reasons not related to this), however i believe kcom has many of the same rotation sites as msu. if i had the option i would go to msu.

Thank you for your response. Do you have any specific reasons for your opinion?

Other opinions would be appreciated...thanks.

YF

Members don't see this ad :)
there are numerous reasons. first, it is a state school and likely better funded. second, it is a real university(they do serious research there), and in the event that you decide to pursue a competitive MD residency program(ie derm, ortho, urology..) having research experience is extremely valuable, and as was told to me by one DO resident, it is essentially required for these programs(MD programs not DO). third, kcom is in the middle of nowhere, i suppose if you are from someplace rural this may not be a big deal, but if you are not it might be a problem(would be for me). Also being at a big university gives you the opportunity to meet and hang out with people who are doing stuff other than medicine, which i think would be very nice. ultimately go where you feel you would the most happy, school is tough, and when you have some down time it is good to be someplace you like and can have fun.

YF,

Even though I am a 2nd year student, I will be entering my clinical rotations this fall and feel I may be able to give you some information on the topic. MSU's clinical program is ideal because it allows you to choose one of twelve (there may be more soon) hospitals throughout the state of MI that are strictly D.O. or have a high emphasis on osteopathic principles and practices in which to do your clinical years. During your third year, half of your time is spent in an ambulatory care (outpatient peds, fam prac, int med, and two other choice areas) setting, while the remainder of the year is spent within the hospital system. What's more is that you are given "out rotations" which allow you to work in any specialty in any institution in the world. Therefore, you are not confined to your base hospital. While there are limitations (as there always are), these are some of the key points that attracted me to MSU's program.

Above all else, Michigan attracts students from all over the nation and MSU has great resources, being a Big Ten University. Our students are generally very prepared for clinicals according to various sources and there are hospitals that are starting to ask for us based on reputation! Go Green!

If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck!

Julia
:p

I am a first year at KCOM, so I can't speak specifically about rotations, but I can say that it appears you have a greater amount of choice at KCOM regarding rotation sites. We have sites in AZ, UT, CO, IL, FL, NJ, MI, MO, OH, and PA, versus the 12 sites in Michigan for MSU. Some of the rotations are preceptor based and some are hospital based. All are osteopathic, of course. It sounds like the school will work with you if you need to do a rotation at a specific place (i.e. due to a sick relative, etc...). And, like MSU, you have the opportunity to arrange your own elective rotations wherever you'd like.

In terms of K'ville being small- I've said it a million times- It just doesn't matter. You will likely be hanging out with medical school people studying all of the time anway, but if you need a break, there is stuff to do and places to go. I can elaborate on this if you'd like.

Research is all of the buzz in the osteopathic world right now, and this is no exception at KCOM. While I doubt we have the resources that MSU does, I know there is a lot happening here with research here.

So ultimately, as usual, it comes down to your comfort level. You'll get all sorts of anecdotal reasons as to why you should go to either school, but I don't think you can really make a wrong choice either way. Good luck!

Thanks lloyd and osteomed,

It is a hard choice and I realize I will be well off at either school. I just want to make the best decision possible.

Do you guys know any 3rd/4th year students I can talk to??

Thanks,

YF

YF,

Have you contacted admissions at each school to ask if they could connect you with a 3rd or 4th year student?

I know I have asked to be connected with a first-year mom with kids about the same age as mine and I wasn't refused. It's worth a shot!

Young Faithful,

Hope all is well in your world and that my post doesn't come to late. I'm a 4th year at KCOM and have been very pleased with my education. If you have specific questions please feel free to email me.

Like the 1st year poster from KCOM mentioned, KCOM has multiple sites at which to rotate, including several in Michigan, however, it also provides you with opportunities to rotate in other parts of the country.

Remember that in your 4th year, no matter what school you attend, you will have some elective time. This time will be spent in programs where you think you might want to pursue a residency position. For instance, in my 4th year I did two out-rotations, one at the Cleveland Clinic and the other at the University of Nebraska.

Ultimately, I agree again with the 1st year KCOM poster. Medical school is brutal. You will become very close with your classmates and you will depend on them and they you. You will become great friends with them, and, like all friendships, you'll want to spend time with them. Yes the 'Ville is small, however, it is a great place to spend your 1st two years of medical school.

I have several very good friends, who I have met through the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA), who attend MSU and who love it, however, I wouldn't trade the experience or the KCOM education, for me it has been very rewarding.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Sweaty Paul MS-IV
KCOM

Paul Teget
[email protected]

I'm a 3rd year from KCOM currently doing rotations in Detroit through the Henry Ford System. I work alongside MSU students quite frequently. They are all very happy with their education and seem quite competent. Also, their first two years will be changing somewhat....in that the allopathic program at MSU is moving to Lansing I think or somewhere else west of here so they will not be sharing classes with their M.D. counterparts. Tuition is significantly less at MSU. However, the cost of living is significantly higher in Michigan also (my rent in Kirksville 250$/month. My rent in Michigan 650$/month. Car insurance doubled. Utility expenses doubled. Mileage put on car quadrupled. Gas higher. Food more expensive. It is true that Kirksville is small. However, less to do in Kirksville than Michigan=less money spent=spending more time studying and making really good friendships. Surviving two years in Kirksville fosters a unique comraderie among the students. Both schools are great. It is a win-win decision. If you can bear two years in Kirksville (I survived 6 years in that I went to undergrad in Kirksville also) you will have more options of places to go after that during 3rd year, as other posters listed. I would base most of your decision on geographical/economic preferences rather than the minutial educational differences between the schools.

Any other questions just ask. I think I can make a good assessment of both sides of the fence.

Also consider-

While most people talk about doing research, most do not do anything about it. Instead, it is like that burned out blinker on your car: you know you should fix it, and would be better off if you did, but you never get around to it, and you hope it does not burn you in the end.

BUT - if you really want to do it, then go for it. At KCOM there are tons of active research projects going on all of the time. They are always talking about the newest grants that have been awarded, and the progress of projects. Any student interested in doing research can do so. There are more opportunities available than students to help do them. Many professors would welcome an eager student who wanted to do lab work.

I don't know anything about MSU, but would advise that you find out how easy it is to get involved in lab work. Though it is a big school, with undoubtedly tons of research going on, they probably have just as many graduate students already doing the work.