What is important in Kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am studying to take the PCAT on Jan 24th. I am reading the Kaplan review notes right now. I am done with the bio chapters and on chapter 10 in general chemistry. (I am reading the ENTIRE kaplan book page by page and stopping to do every question at the end...GOOD IDEA?)
Anyhow I just have a few questions.
1) What general chemistry equations and constants do we NEED to memorize?? for example do we need to memorize PV= nRT? R= 8.314 or .0821? stuff like that? Is it fair to say that we have to memorize all the general chemistry equations in the Kaplan book???

2) I took the DAT before and they give us a periodic table I think...they didn't expect us to memorize the exact weights of every element on the periodic table (THANK GOD!) lol...so is it the same way on the PCAT? they provide a periodic table right?

3) I have read in a few threads that the Kaplan book is NO longer useful at all b/c the PCAT has changed dramatically. How true is this?? can someone just tell me if I am wasting my time reading the Kaplan book? My kaplan book is the only from the actual kaplan class. My friend took the class and is letting me borrow her books. Are these books helpful or not? PLease share your thoughts! thanks

4) lastly is there anyone out there that has taken the DAT and the PCAT and would like to share with me how they would compare these two exams?? I took the Kaplan class for the DAT and thought it helped a lot!! (without the class I would not have score as well as I did) So is Kaplan just as helpful for the PCAT?

thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no periodic table provided on the test, as it also states in the PCAT review books. I borrowed the Kaplan course books from a friend as well and used solely that to study. I read every single word in the bio section and it helped refresh my memory on a lot of things, which helped a lot. But that's just me, since I actually love biology and have already taken a good number of bio courses. There is way more information than is needed to be covered in the bio section, but... it won't hurt, right?

I literally SKIMMED through the Kaplan math book the night before the exam. You definitely shouldn't do that, but given the circumstances I really only had 1-2 weeks of studying for the both times I have taken the test. But again, math is strong for me so I just had to refresh my memory on topics covered way back in high school. As for chem, I honestly didn't get much help out of the Kaplan book. I read it, but I probably spit out more information based on memory from past college chem courses moreso than what I had read in the book. GENCHEM might be useful (kaplan), but def not organic.

It all really depends on how much 'experience' you have in terms of having taken many bio/chem courses by now. As a bio major I've automatically been exposed to that since day 1. Just because the major consensus says so-and-so section in such-and-such book is "bad" doesn't mean you should kick that aside. It'll change for every person. What doesn't help others might turn out to be a total lifesaver for you. I did not bother to take a Kaplan course due to time constraints, but studying on my own using those books helped me out perfectly fine. Since you already took the DATs I'm pretty sure it can't be much too different and that you already have some sort of studying under your belt especially given your said good score.

Now I'm wondering why a sudden change to PHARM from DENTAL if you did well?! (don't need to answer that) Good luck :rolleyes:

You don't need to memorize constants nor atomic weights - if I remember correctly...

Gas laws, and anything on gasses, is a MUST. Also get an outside source to review organic b/c Kaplan does a horrible job in that area IMO.

There is no periodic table provided on the test, as it also states in the PCAT review books. I borrowed the Kaplan course books from a friend as well and used solely that to study. I read every single word in the bio section and it helped refresh my memory on a lot of things, which helped a lot. But that's just me, since I actually love biology and have already taken a good number of bio courses. There is way more information than is needed to be covered in the bio section, but... it won't hurt, right?

I literally SKIMMED through the Kaplan math book the night before the exam. You definitely shouldn't do that, but given the circumstances I really only had 1-2 weeks of studying for the both times I have taken the test. But again, math is strong for me so I just had to refresh my memory on topics covered way back in high school. As for chem, I honestly didn't get much help out of the Kaplan book. I read it, but I probably spit out more information based on memory from past college chem courses moreso than what I had read in the book. GENCHEM might be useful (kaplan), but def not organic.

It all really depends on how much 'experience' you have in terms of having taken many bio/chem courses by now. As a bio major I've automatically been exposed to that since day 1. Just because the major consensus says so-and-so section in such-and-such book is "bad" doesn't mean you should kick that aside. It'll change for every person. What doesn't help others might turn out to be a total lifesaver for you. I did not bother to take a Kaplan course due to time constraints, but studying on my own using those books helped me out perfectly fine. Since you already took the DATs I'm pretty sure it can't be much too different and that you already have some sort of studying under your belt especially given your said good score.

Now I'm wondering why a sudden change to PHARM from DENTAL if you did well?! (don't need to answer that) Good luck :rolleyes:

So you only used the PCAT Kaplan review book from the classroom? how did you do on the PCAT if you don't mind sharing...

I took the Kaplan class for the DAT, but give my book away...however I remember that the bio, gen chem, org chem, reading etc...are EXACTLY THE SAME as the stuff from the PCAT book that I am reading now...thats why I wonder if the PCAT is similar to the DAT and if I need to memorize all the equations in the Gen Chem section.

And yeah I was in Columbia Dental school but decided to drop out of it to pursue pharmacy. I already have a thread on this.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=570765

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to memorize constants nor atomic weights - if I remember correctly...

Gas laws, and anything on gasses, is a MUST. Also get an outside source to review organic b/c Kaplan does a horrible job in that area IMO.

97 is GREAT!:thumbup:
did you like kaplan? and do I need to do a lot of acid/base calculations?

How did you review for orgo?
how did you review for verbal? just memorize a bunch of words that commonly appears on the PCAT??

97 is GREAT!:thumbup:
did you like kaplan? and do I need to do a lot of acid/base calculations?

How did you review for orgo?
how did you review for verbal? just memorize a bunch of words that commonly appears on the PCAT??

Thanks!

Yeah Kaplan was the best for Biology review. My only complaint is that it lacks microbiology so I bought a Schaum's outlines review book because I've never taken micro before. It also had a pretty good review of inorganic chemistry. I made sure to know everything in those two sections (including acid/base calculations! :)).

I studied for the PCAT all summer, and during the two semesters I had just completed, I finished orgo. I studied ALOT for that class so I barely did any review, just brushed up on nomenclature and major reactions.

For verbal I went through WORD FEST! published by Barron's and REA flashcards. I learned random words, but I still don't think any of them were on the PCAT! I guess it helped boost my ego a little bit because I felt more prepared lol.

Millers Analogy test prep books are good for practicing analogies, too!

goooood luck!