What is Intelligence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if I understand your example. But I can guarantee you that if I practiced IQ tests over the years my score would go up.

Exactly - that's my point. If IQ tests go up by practice, then it's not measuring IQ - it's measuring knowledge, and perhaps, depending on the test, application of knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly - that's my point. If IQ tests go up by practice, then it's not measuring IQ - it's measuring knowledge, and perhaps, depending on the test, application of knowledge.

IQ tests have traditionally assumed that intelligence is innate and doesn't change. But I am not sure why you assume prima facie that has to be the case. Why can't intelligence be application of knowledge and not be immutable? Perhaps less mutable than knowledge itself, but not unchanging.

IQ tests have traditionally assumed that intelligence is innate and doesn't change. But I am not sure why you assume prima facie that has to be the case. Why can't intelligence be application of knowledge and not be immutable? Perhaps less mutable than knowledge itself, but not unchanging.

It could - but then you're redefining what is traditionally thought as intelligence and saying it's the application of knowledge (an ability that is now considered separately). I agree with you, except I do think we can eventually nail down intelligence - my guess would be that it has something to do with if two people have the same knowledge, the ability to pick up new things and apply them to create new knowledge (say proving a mathematical theorm they haven't seen). I've no idea how you can standardize and test that though.

That's assuming that amassing knowledge won't affect your brains ability to process information. I'd say that's a short sighted assumption. I'm pretty sure I've read studies in the past that have suggested learning makes you smarter and more intelligent, but but not by a massive amount.