what is most satisfying about pathology?

Started by oceankim
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

O

oceankim

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello to all who read this! I'm applying to medical school and I'm just wondering what is the most satisfying part of being a pathologist and what is the most absolute worst part about it? Thanks!
 
Are you writing a personal statement expressing your interest in pathology for your med school application?

See, expressing an interest at the pre-med level in pathology will not necessarily sway med school admissions committees. Some of the reasons for that can be found here.

There is more to it, of course - and I don't mean some sinister conspiracy.
 
deschutes said:
Are you writing a personal statement expressing your interest in pathology for your med school application?

See, expressing an interest at the pre-med level in pathology will not necessarily sway med school admissions committees. Some of the reasons for that can be found here.

There is more to it, of course - and I don't mean some sinister conspiracy.
very insightful. good work shts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
I thought you did a fantastic job on the MD/PhD essay, poopoohead.
Hmm...that's interesting considering that I never showed you my MD/PhD application essay. In fact, I don't even have a copy of it anymore.

Go you! You should make yourself a taco.
 
oceankim said:
Hello to all who read this! I'm applying to medical school and I'm just wondering what is the most satisfying part of being a pathologist and what is the most absolute worst part about it? Thanks!
I'm a premed/future pathologist ( 😉 ) and what I did after I realized I wanted to become a pathologist 3 years ago was attend clinical conferences in pathology and shadowed oncologists/radiologists (the correlations are STRONG). While doing that, I met the Chief Surgical Pathologist who hired me to do research for her for the next 2 years. I also attended pathology meetings and shadowed pathology residents.

My med school personal statement doesn't mention pathology specifically (just a broad interest in oncology and health disparities) but my MD/PhD applications have pathology "written all over them"!!!! 😉

This doesn't really answer your question, but I think if you mention pathology you'll need to be able to back that up with relevant experiences!