What is my chance for medical schools in puerto rico?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torres7413

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN community!

I'm applying this cycle for medical school, specifically, my dream is to go to school in Puerto Rico (since I'm Puerto Rican, and I have a lot of family over there)
I was not born there, my parents were. My siblings and I were born in the states because they had jobs in the military. But I did briefly live there for 2 years in elementary and I loved being there, so I very much would like to go back.

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.98 cumulative and science
MCAT 500 (CP 124 CARS 125 BB 125 PS 126)
Graduated in 3 years, took a GAP year to gain experience
Extracurriculars:
Student-athlete (soccer)
Resident assistant (job in college)
Research - 1 year, 1st author on poster
Tutor- bio tutor 1 year (tutor bio 1 and 2 to freshmen, or those needing to retake class)
Shadowed: 200 hrs shadowing different physicians (general, anesthesiologist, plastic surgeon, ENT)
Volunteering:
-Special olympics (assisting with volleyball and soccer) 80 hours,
-youth soccer coach 1 year ~ 100 hours
- After the hurricane I spent a week at a shelter helping to collect and package items for Puerto Rico :/ ~48 hours
I just got a job offer during the summer as a nurse's assistant at a kids summer camp! (super excited) Will aid the day and night shift nurse in running the clinic, requires me to be CPR and first aid certified, getting that soon).

But yeah that's pretty much it :)) please let me know what to improve on and your thoughts!

Thank you :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at the Puerto Rican schools but it is a risky application strategy to apply to so few schools with your MCAT score of 500. I suggest applying to these schools also:
ALL of your Florida schools- both MD and DO. Include NOVA MD (new school)
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall (new school)
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
California University (new school)

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at the Puerto Rican schools but it is a risky application strategy to apply to so few schools with your MCAT score of 500. I suggest applying to these schools also:
ALL of your Florida schools- both MD and DO. Include NOVA MD (new school)
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall (new school)
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
California University (new school)
Yeah you have a good point. I will definitely apply to more schools! And thank you for supplying me with this information, I REALLY appreciate it!! :)