Am I competitive for schools in Puerto Rico? (WAMC?) (low gpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mima1124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first time posting so apologies if I posted on the wrong section. I wanted to know if I am competitive to get into the med schools in PR. I am interested in RCM the most. I do have an achilles heel and it is that my GPA is quite low.

Currently:

cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.0 (yes, I know)... it is close to 3.1 (or maybe it could be 3.1 after this semester)... I know AMCAS doesn't round

510 MCAT
3 bacteriology research projects (not related to medicine) (currently not doing research)
- 1 at my university
- 2 at Big 10 Universities (2 summer fellowship awards)

I am an SMDEP scholar
I presented in ABRCMS
I volunteer at a hospital

Near future plans: Gonna do medicine-related research this summer at a big state university and shadowing a well recognized dr (in his field).

My LORs are excellent and the letter writers really vouch for me... I have 1 from PI, 1 from science professor, 1 from literature professor

I am Puerto Rican and live in PR so I already have the strong ties needed to apply to RCM

I ask if I am competitive because the people that I hear getting into medical school here usually have much higher GPAs than me, but slightly lower MCATs. Although I know there are exceptions to the rule.

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated... Gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for the Puerto Rican schools. Are you planning to apply to any other schools?

Reactions: 1 users
hi thanks for replying, I am going to apply to all schools in PR and I was thinking of applying to UAG too... and maybe Ross but i'm still on the fence about that one

Members don't see this ad :)
hi thanks for replying, I am going to apply to all schools in PR and I was thinking of applying to UAG too... and maybe Ross but i'm still on the fence about that one
Forget about the Caribbean schools. Consider applying to these schools in addition to the PR schools:
Miami
GW
Georgetown
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 4 users
Forget about the Caribbean schools. Consider applying to these schools in addition to the PR schools:
Miami
GW
Georgetown
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin

thank you so much!!

Do not apply to any non LCME schools. Every school in Puerto Rico, continental United States, and Hawaii, is part of LCME. Things like SGU, Ross etc, are not, and you have very low chances of graduating, let alone finding a residency. Best of luck!

Do not apply to any non LCME schools. Every school in Puerto Rico, continental United States, and Hawaii, is part of LCME. Things like SGU, Ross etc, are not, and you have very low chances of graduating, let alone finding a residency. Best of luck!
Hello, thanks for your reply! What do you think about UAG?

Hello, thanks for your reply! What do you think about UAG?
Assuming you are referring to Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara. It is not LCME approved, thus if your intention is to practice medicine in the United States, you should not go there.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming you are referring to Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara. It is not LCME approved, thus if your intention is to practice medicine in the United States, you should not go there.

LCME does not have anything to do with schools outside the US and Canada. So that does not mean you should not attend if you want to practice in the US.

Practicing in the US is contingent on completing the USMLE STEPS and passing, and if you are an IMG you should have ECFMG certification.

LCME does not have anything to do with schools outside the US and Canada. So that does not mean you should not attend if you want to practice in the US.

Practicing in the US is contingent on completing the USMLE STEPS and passing, and if you are an IMG you should have ECFMG certification.
This thread is a million years old, but OP in question put the UAG on the same list as schools in Puerto Rico which are part of LCME.