What is my problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanighias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely under confident person and under little bit of pressure I start to shake and blush :scared: I really want to become a good doctor but this problem is creating hurdle for me!

Members don't see this ad.

I am extremely under confident person and under little bit of pressure I start to shake and blush :scared: I really want to become a good doctor but this problem is creating hurdle for me!

I don't have a solution for you. But wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I've been feeling similarly lately.

Have you ever had similar experiences in your life when initially your under-confidence caused you to trip over your words, but over time you became more knowledgable and capable?

I think that is what is likely to happen over time. Eventually you're going to be an expert in the field that you go into. This isn't going to last forever.

I use to be this way. When I was an undergrad I was accepted to a scribe program and had to talk to patients as part of the job. Did it for 3 years. It was terrifying but I slowly got over the fear.

I was still shy in my private life though. I then lost weight, did some traveling, met some people, etc

It took 3 years but I transformed myself from a pathologically shy person to a confident outgoing person (I think sometimes too confident).

There are people like you in my class. Their voices shake when they talk in public or to patients. I feel for them. I think that if you want to improve you'll have to throw yourself into the fire and endure. Force yourself to make progress. If you're not someone who normally approaches people establish a quota of approaches you must complete per week. If you don't normally participate in discussion force yourself to participate for some minimum interval per week etc. Always push your comfort zone. By stepping out of your comfort zone frequently you will find that it will expand through time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Try working or volunteering at a phone bank or doing some canvassing. I know it's tough to find time during school but with an election coming up, there will be plenty of phone banking work-from-home options you can do for an hour or two a week, and plenty of canvassing opportunities (and you can add this to your CV). I used to have very bad anxiety and am still a quiet introvert in social settings but 4 years at a phone bank taught me how to talk to anyone and how to charm the pants off people in a professional setting.

Its good to see I am not alone and people like me came over this problem thanks all for your precious comments!

Lift weights...Best confidence booster by far

Well, that was certainly thorough.

OP - are there people with whom you are not nervous and shaky?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great first post. Thanks for that.

OP - Are you speaking in general or is there a specific situation that you feel worse in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap. I realize now that this was a mega necrobump.

I take back what I said. Weird first post!

Great first post. Thanks for that.

OP - Are you speaking in general or is there a specific situation that you feel worse in?
Did you just copy my post format?

fake it 'til you make it. got me through my first days in the OR.