What is negotiable at the VA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidWestLass

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have finally received my tentative offer from the VA, and was wondering what is actually negotiable at the VA. I'm aware that work schedule and telework is negotiable, but I was wondering about benefits and leave. I believe we start out with 13 days of annual leave - is this something that is negotiable? What about office stuff like getting a decent chair and desk setup, etc. Are there other things people have negotiated for? This is a full time clinical position. Would love your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I have finally received my tentative offer from the VA, and was wondering what is actually negotiable at the VA. I'm aware that work schedule and telework is negotiable, but I was wondering about benefits and leave. I believe we start out with 13 days of annual leave - is this something that is negotiable? What about office stuff like getting a decent chair and desk setup, etc. Are there other things people have negotiated for? This is a full time clinical position. Would love your advice!

Leave is non-negotiable and is determined solely by years of service. Chair/Desk/physical office setup is variable and very much determined by constraints of your specific location. Generally, not much at all is negotiable at most places. At some harder to fill positions, people have been able to argue for step increases if they had significant previous experience, much more rare for people coming in from postdoc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Leave is non-negotiable and is determines solely by years of service. Chair/Desk/physical office setup is variable and very much determined by constraints of your specific location. Generally, not much at all is negotiable at most places. At some harder to fill positions, people have been able to argue for step increases if they had significant previous experience, much more rare for people coming in from postdoc.
Well that's helpful...and disheartening. Haha.

I have another question to pose to the group. The salary in my tentative offer is exactly 12% higher than what the current salary table indicates for this year. So let's say the 2021 salary table for my grade and step is $100k, they listed $112k in my tentative offer. They listed my grade and step correctly. I know that COLA is announced publicly in October, and I am to begin my position in late October. Is it possible that salaries are going to increase by that much? Or is it a mistake? I couldn't find the salary amount listed on any of the other grades/steps in the current salary table. Really hoping that it wasn't a typo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's helpful...and disheartening. Haha.

I have another question to pose to the group. The salary in my tentative offer is exactly 12% higher than what the current salary table indicates for this year. So let's say the 2021 salary table for my grade and step is $100k, they listed $112k in my tentative offer. They listed my grade and step correctly. I know that COLA is announced publicly in October, and I am to begin my position in late October. Is it possible that salaries are going to increase by that much? Or is it a mistake? I couldn't find the salary amount listed on any of the other grades/steps in the current salary table. Really hoping that it wasn't a typo.

There is no way that any year in the VA will see a 12% COLA increase. Like, zero percent. Are you looking at the general GS table, or the table for your specific location?

Reactions: 2 users
Are you checking the correct regional table for your VISN/geographic area?

Reactions: 4 users
There is no way that any year in the VA will see a 12% COLA increase. Like, zero percent. Are you looking at the general GS table, or the table for your specific location?
It's definitely the GS table for my specific site for 2021.

Are you checking the correct regional table for your VISN/geographic area?
Yes. I 100% am using the correct regional table. In fact, it is the one they sent me when they initially offered me the position. Heading is for this location and year and matches the one posted on the opm site for my location/VISN.

It's definitely the GS table for my specific site for 2021.

Congress doesn't usually vote on the following years COLA until later in the year, and it does not go into effect until Jan 1st, so I doubt that it's next year's COLA. Not too mention that that would be the highest COLA increase I've ever seen by a factor of a multiple of 4-5X. Not sure what the discrepancy is in your case.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also not sure what that discrepancy could reflect. Like WisNeuro mentioned, the annual COLA (when it happens) doesn't occur until January. A 12% difference would equate to about ~4 step increases. Does the amount they quoted match any of the values in the salary table exactly? Perhaps they either sent you the wrong table or quoted the wrong amount in the letter (e.g., they have you listed coming in as GS13 step 3, but wrote in your letter the salary for a GS13 step 7 for some reason).

I hate to say it, as there's a chance it could be a mistake and they'll correct downward, but I'd probably ask.

As far as negotiating, the office supplies and such will generally be provided on-site. I will say even if you don't get something nice to begin with, you may have the opportunity to order new furniture at some point in the future. That being said, the likelihood of you getting standard office equipment (e.g., chairs, desks, etc.) that are different from your colleagues is slim unless there's a medical reason for it. It might be some kind of union issue. You may be able to request something like a standing desk, but you could just as easily do that once you're an employee.

I did negotiate a bit with the testing supplies they purchased when I arrived. Or rather, I requested X amount, they said, "we can give you Y, tell us what you need ordered," and that was it.

If it's a hard to fill position, you may be able to request EDRP. But if you already have the offer letter, they may be hesitant to go back and make changes now. Good news is EDRP can become available down the line in some situations.

Things like relocation bonus/moving expenses would've been listed in the job ad. Step increases based on past experience are generally pretty standardized by HR at each site (although that's not at all to say they're the same nationwide).

So all in all, it's a blessing and a curse--there's not much you can negotiate, but you don't have to worry about having missed out on much if your negotiation skills aren't great.

Do they have a special salary rate?

You may be able to negotiate a change to labor mapping/research time. Not much else is very negotiable.
Oooh, good call. I just looked it up and this is actually the amount for my grade/step in the special salary table. Does this mean they made a mistake? Or is it still possible that they gave me the correct amount and that this position is considered for a special salary rate? There isn't much information I can find about special salaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm also not sure what that discrepancy could reflect. Like WisNeuro mentioned, the annual COLA (when it happens) doesn't occur until January. A 12% difference would equate to about ~4 step increases. Does the amount they quoted match any of the values in the salary table exactly? Perhaps they either sent you the wrong table or quoted the wrong amount in the letter (e.g., they have you listed coming in as GS13 step 3, but wrote in your letter the salary for a GS13 step 7 for some reason).

I hate to say it, as there's a chance it could be a mistake and they'll correct downward, but I'd probably ask.

As far as negotiating, the office supplies and such will generally be provided on-site. I will say even if you don't get something nice to begin with, you may have the opportunity to order new furniture at some point in the future. That being said, the likelihood of you getting standard office equipment (e.g., chairs, desks, etc.) that are different from your colleagues is slim unless there's a medical reason for it. It might be some kind of union issue. You may be able to request something like a standing desk, but you could just as easily do that once you're an employee.

I did negotiate a bit with the testing supplies they purchased when I arrived. Or rather, I requested X amount, they said, "we can give you Y, tell us what you need ordered," and that was it.

If it's a hard to fill position, you may be able to request EDRP. But if you already have the offer letter, they may be hesitant to go back and make changes now. Good news is EDRP can become available down the line in some situations.

Things like relocation bonus/moving expenses would've been listed in the job ad. Step increases based on past experience are generally pretty standardized by HR at each site (although that's not at all to say they're the same nationwide).

So all in all, it's a blessing and a curse--there's not much you can negotiate, but you don't have to worry about having missed out on much if your negotiation skills aren't great.
Thanks, Acronym. This is all very helpful.

Last edited:
Oooh, good call. I just looked it up and this is actually the amount for my grade/step in the special salary table.
Never heard of the special salary rate but VA.gov | Veterans Affairs has it listed under Title 38 positions, which psychology doesn't fall under so unfortunately, I think this is might be an HR mistake.

I would definitely clarify with your hiring manager and assume your actual offer is the lower figure for your grade/step/locality. Sorry but best of luck in this position if you end up taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooh, good call. I just looked it up and this is actually the amount for my grade/step in the special salary table. Does this mean they made a mistake? Or is it still possible that they gave me the correct amount and that this position is considered for a special salary rate? There isn't much information I can find about special salaries.
For those not familiar, a special salary rate is a hyper-local salary table for a specific position. For example, psychologists in the San Francisco Bay Area (both Palo alto and sf VA) recently got a special salary rate adjustment. There are separate tables. They actually weren't "live" last I checked on the special salary rate list.

OP, definitely double check with HR and your main contact on the psychology side about the salary

For those not familiar, a special salary rate is a hyper-local salary table for a specific position. For example, psychologists in the San Francisco Bay Area (both Palo alto and sf VA) recently got a special salary rate adjustment. There are separate tables. They actually weren't "live" last I checked on the special salary rate list.

OP, definitely double check with HR and your main contact on the psychology side about the salary
Well this gives me some hope that it’s correct. My VISN is in a similarly expensive area with a large VA site. I’ll reach out and report back. Thanks!

Hi everyone. A follow-up and question. So yes, the HR person mistakenly pulled from the special salaries table unfortunately. It took getting the firm offer a week ago for anybody to let me know they made a mistake (I sent several emails to Hr).

But I have another question regarding my firm offer. I received my firm offer but was unable to open it. I asked them to send it again. I received the second firm offer email, and was able to accept the position.

Today, I was reviewing my firm offer email to confirm information I needed and noticed a paragraph stating that I was authorized for EDRP, and to get in contact with the EDRP coordinator. Now, I was previously told (A couple times) that I would not be offered EDRP, and that paragraph was not in the first email offer I received. But it was in the 2nd offer I received and accepted the next day. I’m confident that this was another mistake, and am wondering if this one would hold considering it was in my second firm offer email that I accepted.

Please let me know if I should be excited or not!

Please let me know if I should be excited or not!
Hopefully yes! There has been an expansion in EDRP (not sure if 100% nationwide but I know of 3 VISNs where this happening) where current employees in good standing are able to apply, regardless of how long they have been with the VA (or something to that effect) as a retention bonus so it's quite possible that it has also been authorized for new positions after the initial posting. But double check with the psychology/MH hiring manager so make sure you do indeed qualify, what your max EDRP amount is, etc.

Hopefully yes! There has been an expansion in EDRP (not sure if 100% nationwide but I know of 3 VISNs where this happening) where current employees in good standing are able to apply, regardless of how long they have been with the VA (or something to that effect) as a retention bonus so it's quite possible that it has also been authorized for new positions after the initial posting. But double check with the psychology/MH hiring manager so make sure you do indeed qualify, what your max EDRP amount is, etc.
Thanks, summerbabe! Oh, I asked for EDRP every step of the way…haha. And I was told 2 days before the official offer that it’s not authorized for my position. So I am pretty confident it was a mistake. Do you still think it would hold since it was in the firm offer I accepted?

Last edited:
Thanks, summerbabe! Oh, I asked for EDRP every step of the way…haha. And I was told 2 days before the official offer that it’s not authorized for my position. So I am pretty confident it was a mistake. Do you still think it would hold since it was in the firm offer I accepted?

Yup, we were all just encouraged to apply for that reason.

And I was told 2 days before the official offer that it’s not authorized for my position. So I am pretty confident it was a mistake.
Hmmmm, was this somebody from HR or mental health? If it’s somebody from mental health, it might not hold since they should be more aware of position-specific incentives than HR but who knows.

If you know a psychologist working at this facility, you can check on whether EDRP has been offered widely as a retention incentive. If it hasn’t and you’ve been told repeatedly that EDRP can’t be offered, this might be an unfortunate HR mistake. Good luck getting this sorted out!

Thanks so much for the helpful link. It nicely outlines what to expect with EDRP.

However, what I am specifically wondering is: my site mistakenly included EDRP in my firm offer. Can they take it back despite it being included in writing in the firm offer that I accepted?

Thanks so much for the helpful link. It nicely outlines what to expect with EDRP.

However, what I am specifically wondering is: my site mistakenly included EDRP in my firm offer. Can they take it back despite it being included in writing in the firm offer that I accepted?
It depends on how their budget is allocated. If it is budgeted for EDRP and your position is eligible under their budget plan, then yes you will be eligible to apply. If there isn't a budget for your position, then they will catch it and correct themselves, and it is unlikely you will be able to negotiate/renegotiate, at least for the current fiscal year. Double check with HR or reach out to the EDRP Coordinator to be sure.

Last edited:
"How can I find out if my position is eligible for EDRP funding?

Each medical center Human Resources Office must identify and prioritize a list of locally difficult to recruit and retain occupations or specialties which will be eligible for consideration of EDRP awards. The job announcement must then include an EDRP offer as part of the recruitment package for the individual selected. (Reference: VHA Handbook 1021.01, paragraphs 2b, 4d, 7d, and 12). Only HR may offer EDRP."

Attachments

• EDRP Handbook May 2012.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
"How can I find out if my position is eligible for EDRP funding?

Each medical center Human Resources Office must identify and prioritize a list of locally difficult to recruit and retain occupations or specialties which will be eligible for consideration of EDRP awards. The job announcement must then include an EDRP offer as part of the recruitment package for the individual selected. (Reference: VHA Handbook 1021.01, paragraphs 2b, 4d, 7d, and 12). Only HR may offer EDRP."
Thank you for this information. Yes, I’m aware that only HR can offer EDRP. The thing is that my HR person included EDRP in the firm offer they sent to me. But I’m 99.9% sure that was a mistake. It sounds like you think they’d be able to rescind it despite it being included in the firm offer I accepted. I guess the firm offer isn’t so firm. 😒

Thank you for this information. Yes, I’m aware that only HR can offer EDRP. The thing is that my HR person included EDRP in the firm offer they sent to me. But I’m 99.9% sure that was a mistake. It sounds like you think they’d be able to rescind it despite it being included in the firm offer I accepted. I guess the firm offer isn’t so firm. 😒
My take, although I wouldn't call it informed--they may honor it and they may not, and much may depend (as noted above) on funding and how that situation is working out locally and nationally. If they rescind the EDRP, you may have grounds to challenge it based on it being in your final offer, but your success could depend on how far you're willing to take things (e.g., involve the union, involve service-level and facility-level leadership, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
My take, although I wouldn't call it informed--they may honor it and they may not, and much may depend (as noted above) on funding and how that situation is working out locally and nationally. If they rescind the EDRP, you may have grounds to challenge it based on it being in your final offer, but your success could depend on how far you're willing to take things (e.g., involve the union, involve service-level and facility-level leadership, etc.).
Could escalating it leave someone vulnerable during the probation period?

In a perfect world, it shouldn't. In the real world, it could rub service-level leadership the wrong way potentially, if it comes back making them look bad.
Thank you so much for your helpful response! I think I’ll challenge it if they initially try to reject it, but then just leave it if that doesn’t work. Thanks again for your insight. Keep your fingers crossed for me!