What is NYMC *Really* Like? (the FAQ thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying. But the city leaves me wondering. What's Valhalla like? Is there anything to do there? What do students do for fun? Comments from people who have been there, gone to school there, lived there, or heard rumors about the area are most welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Rafa said:
I'm thinking of applying. But the city leaves me wondering. What's Valhalla like? Is there anything to do there? What do students do for fun? Comments from people who have been there, gone to school there, lived there, or heard rumors about the area are most welcome.

im also interested to know as im thinkin of applying there as well.

I don't like how there isn't a real gym on campus at nymc. I didn't like the feel of the school in general. When I visited it seemed pretty dull. The whole school is literally like a building. I like it when it's a full university. However, I hear that they prepare you quite well for the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I visited there for my interview so I dont know much. I think most people go to New York City for most of the fun. The nearest train station is about 5 minutes from the campus and it's about 35 minutes into the city at Grand Central Station. (so if you planned to catch a train, you could be in NYC in about 45 minutes! Otherwise, I'm sure there are some little Bars and Restaurants in Valhalla. Also, there is a nice little city called White Plains that's about 5 minutes from campus that I thought would be a cool place. But the school is in a more suburban area.

Rafa - I'm sorry I haven't answered your question from the other day. I've been crazy busy. I will try to get to it this weekend, but will answer it on this thread!

I've lived 15 minutes from NYMC for my entire life. The hospital is the largest trauma center in the area. They even medivac people down from Albany in some cases. The area is suburban, but the city of White Plains is right next door. There are plenty of decent bars there along Mammaroneck ave (Lazy Boy Saloon, James Joyce, and the Black Bear). NYC is pretty close via mass transit metro-north. All in all its not too bad, but if you are looking for constant excitement, you are not going to find it in Valhalla.

mdage said:
This is an awesome vedio from NYMC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB_aA9Bymy8&search=APAMSA
Too bad the school didn't give me a chance to be a part of it.
Good luck! :luck:

The office of admissions should release that video to applicants. I would have seriously probably have gone to the school if I saw it earlier (I was accepted, and withdrew).

That is really well done.lol

I withdrew my application on interview day. I was very dissapointed with everything there.

VinylFever said:
I withdrew my application on interview day. I was very dissapointed with everything there.

Why?

NYMC is alright, its cool cause the students all live around or on campus, so even if there aren't a million restaurants/nightclubs around, at least you can always find some friends to chill with.

And also the one "building" is the med school is the med education building, and its really nice and new, I think they just built it in 2001 or something. The anatomy labs are nicer then most I saw while interviewing, and they didn't smell like formaldehyde, which was sweet.

They do well on the boards, but the doc I interviewed with there said thats sorta a moot point, because even if on average their boards scores are a few percentage points ahead of other schools, it doesn't mean that ALL of their students rock the boards and he said its not a good reason to pick a med school given all other factors.

They DO, however, have a pretty extensive hospital network around the NYC area. Their match list is sweet and you can live in Manhattan your last 2 years of med school, which is really when you'll have more time to chill out anyway, the first two years you'll be studying and a desk in Valhalla looks a lot like a desk in Manhattan or Miami or San Diego (tho there ain't a beach outside the room you're studying in)