What is OMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smspremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the main purpose of Osteopathic Medicine is. What is the OMT?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi smspremed
I think the folks on this site have been around for a while and have gotten tired of answering this question, because I asked a similar question and was directed to the www.osteopathic.com website to "frequently asked questions." I don't know if this will be helpful, I know it left me with a lot of questions. As a premed I am very interested in the differences in treatment modalities of osteopaths and allopaths. I posted a scenario DO v's MD treatment scenarios. I am still researching osteopathic medecine as it is quite new to me and I will try to pass on any interesting sites that I find. Good luck. Sean

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only a first year DO student so I can tell you what I have learned about OMT or OMM.

Basically, OMT is a series of technique that help to resolve physical dysfunction, such as muscloskelelal problem. There are many illness that have underlining problem related to the muscloskeleton. For example, people have pain during respiration and patient will describe them as chest pain.

Yes, the chest pain is real but there are many different causes for chest pain. Obviously, cardio problem may be the cause. However, sometimes the pain may cause by the problem in the spine and the ribs.

As we know that ribs are flexible and they move during respiration. But if just one rib get stuck in one position, you may feel pain during inhale or exhale.

We can use OMT to re-position the spine and the ribs into proper location. Once the ribs resume the proper position, the pain may be gone.

This is just one of the many technique that is taught to us in OMT class. There are so much more, such as counterstrain, muscle energy, etc.

I hope this give you any idea what is OMT.

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited 03-18-99).]

Why does osteopathic manipulative medicine have so many different names (OMM, OTM, OMT)? It may be akin to DDS vs DMD but it seems to me that we should all refer to it as one thing. We may know what someone is referring to if one of these terms is used but the general public may be totally confused. Aren't we trying to educate the public about osteopathy? If so, the last thing we need to do is confuse them.