What is Physicsl Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatry) actually like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medskate16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been researching Physical Medicine and Rehabilition (Physiatry) a lot lately and I think that it would be a great speciality to go into as an Osteopathic Physician (considering the in-depth study of the musculoskeletal system). It seems hard to find information about this specialty online. Can anyone tell me what an average day would look like for a PM and R physician. What type of patients do you see, what procedures do you perform , what is most of your time spent doing etc ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can give a little bit about what I know of what a PM&R physician is like, but more so from an MD standpoint I guess. I shadowed a PM&R physician at my university hospital and I have a relative that is also a PM&R physician. From what I was able to see, what the day would start out with was team meetings and figuring out who was recently admitted, who is released, what each patient's progress was like for the day, etc. After the team meetings the physician had a list of patients and he went to each room to just check up on them and see their progress. Then he'd go check up on the physical therapy or occupational therapy room and see the progress of their patients. There was also a lot of conversations to the patients about, after being discharged how they would need to adjust their lifestyle for the time being and if they were able to properly adjust back into the real world. I don't know if it was just a coincidence with the times I shadowed or the fact that he was an attending physician so he didn't need to do a lot of the bulk work but most of it seemed to be just routine checkups and meetings. Not sure if it is different anywhere else but for this location, the patients that come in and out were people specifically involved in spinal injuries and were going in and out of surgery/rehab.

I've been researching Physical Medicine and Rehabilition (Physiatry) a lot lately and I think that it would be a great speciality to go into as an Osteopathic Physician (considering the in-depth study of the musculoskeletal system). It seems hard to find information about this specialty online. Can anyone tell me what an average day would look like for a PM and R physician. What type of patients do you see, what procedures do you perform , what is most of your time spent doing etc ?

Hey I was wondering the same question. I am now 3rd year DO medical student and I'm trying to find the right residency. I was wondering if you ended up doing the PM&R and if so how is it and which programs you applied for?
thanks