What is PMR's future outlook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a DO medical student, what is the PMR's future outlook with the Obama Healthcare? Will the patient population see any dip ? Is PMR a steady field to go into anymore? As a DO student, do I have many opportunities in PMR? Please let me know, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As a DO medical student, what is the PMR's future outlook with the Obama Healthcare? Will the patient population see any dip ? Is PMR a steady field to go into anymore? As a DO student, do I have many opportunities in PMR? Please let me know, thank you!

Hmm, an awful lot of requests for crystal ball scrying lately on SDN...

I don't think anyone has a really good answer as there are just too many variables.

Regardless of what the government wants, people will continue to get sick, injured and older. As Boomers hit retirement age and beyond, we are certain to see the effects of all those years of smoking, drinking and drugging in terms of CVAs, as well as a lot of aging backs and necks.

The bigger question is what will be the financial viability of PM&R. Current mainstream thought is procedures are going to continue to be paid less and less, while cerebral medicine gets paid more, at least comparitively.

But no one knows what thing will really look like with all these new "insurance exchanges" ACOs and 50 million people suddenly recieving new government entitlements of either Medicaid, Medicare or tax credits to buy their own insurance.

As a DO, you likely have more opportunities in PM&R than most allopathic specialties. I understand there are even osteopathic PM&R residencies now.

As a rule, PM&R is very DO friendly. I have many classmates and friends from other DO schools who did very well in the match, including some very competitive places. In fact, my graduating class had some 20 students go into PM&R.

If you look at allopathic PM&R training programs across the country, you will see lots of DO's among their faculty.

Like any other field, you need to show interest and you need to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. In PM&R, you'll see many unique patients that other clinicians don't see, and you'll treat them in ways other clinicians don't. I certainly wouldn't let your osteopathic training keep you from pursuing the field!

There are a handful of osteopathic PM&R programs: Michigan State, Nassau University Med Center (NY) is dual-accredited program, Long Beach (NY), Nova Southeastern/Larkin (just took their first class this past match). There is one planned for Western University/COMP in California, though I'm unsure of the start date.

If you have more questions about applying as a DO, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How much competition is it for this field? Do majority people match like internal? I hear you really need to just pass your boards. I am takin a year off right now after second year since I really need more time with step and figure I do some research too. Would this hurt my chances in any way

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SDN Mobile

Compared to Derm, Rads or Ortho, it's not very competitive. But, I would venture to say that it is a bit more competitive than IM or Peds. You have to take into consideration the programs you are applying to, obviously the better programs are more competitive.

As a DO, being comfortable with MSK anatomy and neuroanatomy will initially transition well to PM&R. At the end of your 4 years of residency, MD and DO alike will be at similar skill and knowledge level. The advantage of a DO is having an extra set of skills (OMT) in the tool box to use as needed.

Last edited:
As everyone has said in one way or another, PM&R is actually more competitive than it seems. According to the AAMC 2012 Match Data, PM&R (8.4%) is one of the specialties with a higher percentage of unmatched US Seniors when compared to dermatology (8.2%), neurosurgery (9.7%), ortho (18.1%), ENT (14.3%), plastics (9.3%), and RadOnc (15.3%).

From an academic perspective (board scores, AOA, research), PM&R is not as competitive compared to other specialties. But actually matching is a different story.

As everyone has said in one way or another, PM&R is actually more competitive than it seems. According to the AAMC 2012 Match Data, PM&R (8.4%) is one of the specialties with a higher percentage of unmatched US Seniors when compared to dermatology (8.2%), neurosurgery (9.7%), ortho (18.1%), ENT (14.3%), plastics (9.3%), and RadOnc (15.3%).

From an academic perspective (board scores, AOA, research), PM&R is not as competitive compared to other specialties. But actually matching is a different story.

I have a strong feeling since PM&R is the most DO friendly ACGME residency it makes the total unmatched allopathic us seniors much higher than those compared specialties mentioned above. In NY alone close to 30 spots went to DO's when there are a total of 60 PGY2 spots. It definitely is getting more competitive in this field.