What is Ross like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoMoe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to Ross and have been really excitted to go (ill be attending in May). Noe I've heard some disturbing things about the drop out rate and about the schools atmosphere. Can anyone from the school address these issues for me? Im starting to have doubts =(

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting you are looking for reseach AFTER you have been accepted. There are lots of threads on here to help you stay informed such as: Ross vs Do School, Third World Experiences, and U.S. clinical rotations for Caribean Students to name just a few. That should get you started. :p

Well Mo,

It depends on what kind of student you are. If you are a consistent 3.5 or better student from college, had 7 0r 8's and better on the MCAT and always was a top of the class student you can make it academically at Ross. I am not trying to generalize but the school I go to in Belize, has loads of Ross students who left for the viciousness of the program. Not only did they state that many people stuggled through and some not even getting through the basic sciences , the island itself was rough living. In general there were people on the island who tried to take advantage of students because there were American and the community really did not care much for the students.

If Ross Is your only option then I say go for it. But there are so many other foreign institutions to choose from and to research.Please read all the other Posts from the message boards, many people have the same sentiments I have. Yes, it is true Ross had been around for 20+ years and established. They have excellent rotations, in good hospitals in the states and if you get through the basic sciences you WILL be prepared for Step 1. The issue is can go get through the basic sciences? In medical school you need to be content with your surroundings and have a clear state of mind to study.

If you find Ross is the only answer, one semester will definitely help you decide if it is the school for you. If you want any info about my school you can email me at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Mo,

Plus realize that the best thing you can do before may is visit the school itself. see if you can live there. the living conditions are harsh.

there will be people telling you that its may be fun to live in a foreign country studying medical school. well, not to burst their bublle or yours, but have they actually been their and seen the conditions themselves. i have...

the program is doable and don't be deterred if you truly want to be a doctor, go for it. but you should have the mindset going there, that you are entirely focused on achieving that objective.

attrition rates are somewhat high, approximately 25% of the class will not return after each semster. the reason they state that have a high residency placment is because they don't calucalte the starting class, its the ending class that they comapre the numbers with.

i'm not trying to scare you or say bad stuff about the school. you are able to make an informed decision yourself. just realize that being an IMG, you have to take the CSA, TOEFL, USMLE I, II, and after you finish your second year of studies at Ross, you have to take a comphrensive examination of basic sciences in order to start the clinical portion. if you do not pass, that you have to retake that as well.

good luck, ross has good graduates but it requires a strong sense of self, dedicaiton, commitment to make it through

I absolutely agree with WSU. You will get a real-life experience and you will have to stay focused, that means even when you fail. Doing an all-nighter and thinking I am prepared, and missing 9 out 10 questions. You'll need to regroup on a regular basics. My class went from over 200 to 120 when I graduated. I won a scholarship for every semester after the first one and graduated Cum Laude(which is meaningless in the states!!!) but those were my GOALS...and noone can take that away from me. EVER.

I am currently a 5th semester student at Ross and for all it's worth am happy with the program. Island life sucks: boring, minimal off campus ammendities; but is VERY condusive to studying. There is just nothing else to do! I think the majority of the teachers do a good jod, especially path, pharm was VERY good, and micro. Behavioral science seemed a little lax, but when it came time to take the NMBE shelf, they were right on the money.

Bonuses also include:
1. you're only away for 4 sem; 5th semester is in Miami as a 9 week intro to clinical Med course when you transition from basic sciences to clinical sciences.

2. All clinical affiliations are in teaching hospitals along side US students. If you call the school they will send you a list of sites. Actually, I think they're on the web site. I;ve spoken to several clincal science students and they've all been happy with the rotations.

3. Since they participate in the NMBE Shelf examination program for basic sciences, you get to compare your performance with that of US med students. You also need to pass the comprehensive exam at the end of 4th to be eligible to sit for the boards. Stats show that those who pass the exam pass the boards on teh first try (I think 90+% 1st time). If you fail, you take it again the following semester in 5th. It sounds intimidating, but it really isn't.

4. People seem to match in good residencies. Check out the web site. They list the most recent match results.

5. Yeah classes are hard and many people fail, but they grade on a curve. If you put your time into it and study, you should be able to make at a minimum the class mean. Mean = B! 1.75 SD below = C.

6. Federal Stafford Loans elligible

Bad side:

1. Disorganization, but you know this occurs in all schools.

2. Island life. But hey you're going away anyway.

From what I have read, heard and experienced, I would choose wither Ross or St. George. No disrespect to other schools, it's just my opinion.