What is ScutWork?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C. Ronaldo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few terms around these boards I dont understand. What is ScutWork? Whas is Ped/Med?

Members don't see this ad.

scut work is any work you do on rotations that doesn't contribute to your learning about medicine. This can include things like running blood work to the lab or doing any number of errands for your resident or attending that has nothing to do with you learning the trade.

As for ped/med my best guess is pediatric medicine. If you give it some context maybe it would be easier to figure out.

I assume you mean Med/Peds, referring to "Internal Medicine/Pediatrics". A person who chooses to do a residency in Med/Peds rotates through work in both. Generally, once in practice, they can either work in a hospital or clinic, and see both adults and children.

In many schools, Med/Peds is much more popular than Family Practice. Med/Peds residency lasts 4 years, while Family Practice takes 3.

alternately, scutwork the website is like sdn's interview feeback for medschool, except scutwork is for residencies rather than medical school. you wont have to worry about it for a while, though.