what is the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I was wondering: how did you all learn about the application process to medical school (timeline, when interview invites start coming out, when the first acceptances start coming out, etc.)? Is there some gold standard link or something that pre-meds should read before starting the application process? I'm a little confused on the whole process and just wanted to know if there was some good source that would run through the ins and outs of the app process. Alright, thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Most school's websites have an "application timeline" that's an overview of the process. They usually list deadlines like November for primaries and January for secondaries with the small caveat of "the sooner the better."

SDN (or your local pre-med advisor) is where you come for the real dirt on the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I was wondering: how did you all learn about the application process to medical school (timeline, when interview invites start coming out, when the first acceptances start coming out, etc.)? Is there some gold standard link or something that pre-meds should read before starting the application process? I'm a little confused on the whole process and just wanted to know if there was some good source that would run through the ins and outs of the app process. Alright, thanks a lot!

I have a sister who applied the year before I did. It makes it a lot easier...

This is an outline from my school's pre-health website for the year leading up to application:

September-December1. Begin to review notes and textbooks for admissions exams.

January-February1. Begin or continue to collect letters of recommendation.

2. Discuss your application with xxxx Coordinator of Preprofessional Health Advising. Make an appointment in 109 Hall or by calling xxx-xxxx.

3. Begin or continue to review for admissions' exams.
4. Look for announcements regarding registration for spring exams (MCAT, DAT, OAT). All computerized with multiple dates of administration.

February1. Determine if you are eligible for a fee waivers.

2. Review for admissions' exams.

March1. Check in 109 Norton Hall to see if your letters of recommendation have arrived. Follow up where necessary.

2. Begin to research schools: request school catalogs, check the Internet.

April1. File your application for a Prehealth Committee Letter by April 1 (New for 2005). Individual letters due April 15.

2. Re-check to see if letters of recommendation have all arrived.

3. Schedule your appointment for the Committee interview at once.

4. Complete review and consider taking MCAT, DAT or OAT exams in April-May.

May1. Find and fill out AMCAS, AADSAS, AACPMAS or AACOMAS applications. All are now internet based. (Check to see if you are eligible for a fee waiver).

2. Once you have selected the schools to which you are applying, obtain that number of envelopes and a Release Form from the Resource Area in 108 Norton.

3. Complete your Committee interview.
4. Contact non-service schools for their applications (e.g., optometry schools, offshore medical schools).

June-July1. Start filling out applications for both service and non-service schools. Consider submitting by June 30. Early applications are strongly recommended.

3. Finalize your applications.

July-August1. Mail out application to the centralized application services (June 1-June 30 is a good time). Applying EARLY is essential.

2. Mail out applications to non-service schools. Promptly complete secondary applications.

3. File MCAT/DAT/OAT exam applications if you will be taking or retaking an exam. Taking the MCAT and DAT before July is strongly recommended.

4. Look up to see which MD and DO schools subscribe to VirtualEvals. Go to http://virtualevals.org. If not, turn in posted envelopes ($1.17). ALL applicants submit Release Form to 109 xxxx for Committee Letter and letters of recommendation to be mailed to professional schools.

5. Obtain and complete Committee application if you are using the Committee's September cycle.

6. Check to see if your letters of recommendation have arrived. Follow up on any missing letters.

September1. September 1 deadline to file an application for the Committee Letter.

2. Complete your committee interview.

October1. Turn in posted, addressed envelopes and Release Form to have letters sent.

2. Begin to think of possible alternatives, just in case.

3. Notify us of any and all acceptances.