What is the circled portion on this X-RAY? Pretty sure this person has ARPKD but don't know what thi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insight would be much appreciated!
kidney2.PNG

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I like how there are also lesions/cysts on the liver corresponding to AKPD. But I have no idea....it looks like a Gossypiboma? I am very interested to know what it is.

Last edited:
Isn't that just part of the intestine sticking up higher than the rest? This is why I hate rads when they take the images out of context (single CT slice, still frame US with no pt history or info on where the damn thing is pointed, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will take a wild guess and say it is the duodenal bulb. Dont ask me what the opacities mean. Does the ARPKD present with pyloric valve issues?

Last edited:
Still waiting for the X-ray

Reactions: 13 users
The circled lesion has air and appears to be loculated. Could be abscess or necrotic mass or some weird segment of bowel. Hard to tell without clinical history and without access to more planes.

Reactions: 1 users
Cannot tell without the other slices. If i have to bet it’s poop and air in transverse colon

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like poop. The question is, is it poop in something that should have poop or some infectious process. Being able to scroll up and down would be nice.

Reactions: 3 users
The part you've circled is like the second least interesting aspect of that slice of a CT (not an X-ray). Second only to the stomach.

I'd call that transverse colon with poop and air on single slice. You can see something similar to it at the 4o'clock position from the stomach.

I’m going with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease with associated liver cysts and incidental air and feces in this slice.

The part you've circled is like the second least interesting aspect of that slice of a CT (not an X-ray). Second only to the stomach.

I'd call that transverse colon with poop and air on single slice. You can see something similar to it at the 4o'clock position from the stomach.
That's the problem with how Rads is taught, though...they usually only bother to label the 'interesting' stuff, forgetting/neglecting that when you first start out, you can't ID the normals as readily and thus labelling them helps orient and reinforce what is normal. I'd reckon this got posted because OP was given a slide and told what was going on in the liver and kidney, but the 'normal' weird-looking thing wasn't explained and so they came here to ask.

That's the problem with how Rads is taught, though...they usually only bother to label the 'interesting' stuff, forgetting/neglecting that when you first start out, you can't ID the normals as readily and thus labelling them helps orient and reinforce what is normal. I'd reckon this got posted because OP was given a slide and told what was going on in the liver and kidney, but the 'normal' weird-looking thing wasn't explained and so they came here to ask.
Interesting. We had radiology during anatomy but it was very self-guided. We basically got a PowerPoint of 300 slides with different CT sections + labels the day before our final. Most of them were like what OP posted aka “weird but normal”. I still remember seeing the gaps between bones on an infant x-ray and thinking there was some wild pathology of bone being replaced with fat or something

I guess this is their attempt at getting familiar with normal structures before we head into the rest of our curriculum.