What is the difference between "lucid interval" and "delayed onset"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saladin MD

EM Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between "lucid interval" and "delayed onset"? FA says that epidural hemorrhage has a "lucid interval" and subdural hemorrhage has "delayed onset", so what is the difference?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i think that lucid interval in EDH is after the injury you have a period of time when you recover consciousness before you pass out and die. delayed onset is what it says - you get punched in the back of the head during a bar fight, you kick the guy's ass, and your SDH begins and expands over a period of time and in the end, he wins the fight.

i think that lucid interval in EDH is after the injury you have a period of time when you recover consciousness before you pass out and die. delayed onset is what it says - you get punched in the back of the head during a bar fight, you kick the guy's ass, and your SDH begins and expands over a period of time and in the end, he wins the fight.

Thanks. lol @ your example

So 'lucid interval' means you lose consciousness, recover (lucid interval), and then lose consciousness again?

yes and i can't take credit for the bar fight example - this was straight out of a CSI episode a few seasons back!