What is the difference between these two AGE question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnTulisa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
28236d6e18.png

d445469542.png

f92b71ba8f.png

How come in the one with Daniel, you DON'T add the years from now in the second equation, while you do always add it in all of Destroyer's age problems.

D= G+ 4
D+ 8 = 3 (G+8) +2
^This is what I assume it would be?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm not great at QR but what I took from this was that is says:

3 x Greg's CURRENT age. This means his age before the time skip.
While the one with Ida did not specify that it was the current age so you need to assume she is also 5 years older

Hey I'm not great at QR but what I took from this was that is says:

3 x Greg's CURRENT age. This means his age before the time skip.
While the one with Ida did not specify that it was the current age so you need to assume she is also 5 years older

As someone who learned English at the age of 10:
I HATE MATH :D

I find the easiest way to solve these kinds of problems is to set up a table like this if you are unsure how to set up the equations and solve simultaneous equations.
=Now-------Then=
=G|D--------G|D=
=1|5----------9|13=
=3|7---------11|15=
=4|8---------12|16=
=5|9---------13|17=
=6|10--------14|18=

First column = answer choices
Second column = D is 4 years older than G
Third/Fourth = their ages after 8 years
So Greg current age is 5.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I find the easiest way to solve these kinds of problems is to set up a table like this if you are unsure how to set up the equations and solve simultaneous equations.
=Now-------Then=
=G|D--------G|D=
=1|5----------9|13=
=3|7---------11|15=
=4|8---------12|16=
=5|9---------13|17=
=6|10--------14|18=

First column = answer choices
Second column = D is 4 years older than G
Third/Fourth = their ages after 8 years
So Greg current age is 5.

To make the 3/4th column, do you always just add the amount of years they added (8 years in this case) without having to take the conditions they give you into consideration?

To make the 3/4th column, do you always just add the amount of years they added (8 years in this case) without having to take the conditions they give you into consideration?
Yes, you already take into account D is 4 years older than G and in fact at any point in time, D will always be 4 years older than G. The "In 8 years...." is used to find the correct answer. Try this method on different questions and let me know if it works.