what is the ek verbal method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicago88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, people on SDN frequently refer to the 'ek verbal method' or the 'ek verbal technique'. i was just wondering what specifically people mean when they say this...

i do have the verbal strategy book.. is all that they mean is that they learn how to read for the main idea and not go back to passage for reference during questions? or is there more to it?

did anyone find great use in analyzing each passages answer choices without reading the passage?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
so, people on SDN frequently refer to the 'ek verbal method' or the 'ek verbal technique'. i was just wondering what specifically people mean when they say this...

i do have the verbal strategy book.. is all that they mean is that they learn how to read for the main idea and not go back to passage for reference during questions? or is there more to it?

did anyone find great use in analyzing each passages answer choices without reading the passage?

Yeh that pretty much sums it up from what I could tell. They are more about the big picture rather than the minute details in the passages.

The EK method/EK books are awesome. Sometimes I call EK the slacker's guide to the MCAT, haha. It gives you nothing but just enough to know what is on the test.

there is no "method" that is foolproof. You have to have the intelligence to be able to critically think about the verbal passages while understanding it and pondering questions etc.

You can only develop an intuition but that ccomes through practice.

I suspect that if you try to confine yourself to the methodology that it may help for a little while but you should develop your own style as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
there is no "method" that is foolproof. You have to have the intelligence to be able to critically think about the verbal passages while understanding it and pondering questions etc.

You can only develop an intuition but that ccomes through practice.

I suspect that if you try to confine yourself to the methodology that it may help but you should develop your own style as well.

I pity the fool who doesn't read Mister T's post. :laugh:

Practice is the best method, by far. The first score I got back on verbal was a 7, and as low as a 5. I'm currently routinely at about 10-11, and I still don't feel like I've maxed out yet.

A lot of it is familiarity.

I think the whole point in offering that advice is that, intuitively, you may go for an answer that is actually the correct answer, but you change answers after going back to the passage to substantiate your choice. At least that's something I do.

The EK method basically says to read the passage and let your subconscious/general "feeling" about the passage guide you, rather than individual details. That and to use the test itself to your advantage.