What is the hardest q?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Da Alchemist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the MD needs your opinion/info about drugs most of the a pharmacist can answer right ? In hospital what is the hardest question the MD asked you? Did Any MD/RN/Patient ask you any questions about drugs that you couldnt answer right away? that you had to do research first? are there any pharm.d here who couldnt answer an MDs question at one point.

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh - I'd have to really think about this one!

I've had lots of questions I could answer without much thought...but, over 30 years, I've had some really tough questions. So, yes - there have been questions I couldn't answer right away - but, that's never been an expectation of mine nor anyone I've ever had professional encounters with.

Right off the top of my head - one of the most difficult questions I've ever had to answer was "can you make me some IV nitroglycerin?". This was before the product was commercially available & very few published studies had been done. This was before the internet as well (aka - Al Gore;) ) so research was hard to do. There was the whole stability, lability, sterility, potency, etc...issues which were separate & apart from the liability & ethics (see why Plan B is so easy???).

Many questions now require a bit of research, which is so easy now that all my references are online. With experience, you get to know what you can answer with a good degree of confidence & what you have to say you need to get back to them on. After all - we don't expect physicians to have every answer immediately - hence - consultants, 2nd or 3rd opinions, etc...

I have to say, I can pretty much answer any RN's questions quickly with one exception - that is when I was asked for specifics when an RN was writing a book chapter. Since I was being referenced, I had to be absolutely accurate & time was no issue. Altho....over 30 years....I might have forgotten a few questions I couldn't actually answer along the way.