What is the interview setting like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Milkman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to picture what my interviews will be like in my head. Are you sitting across a desk from the interviewer? In the middle of a room while they are at a desk? This goes for both one-on-one and MMI formats. If anyone can chime in on their experiences I am just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to picture what my interviews will be like in my head. Are you sitting across a desk from the interviewer? In the middle of a room while they are at a desk? This goes for both one-on-one and MMI formats. If anyone can chime in on their experiences I am just curious!
There's some videos on youtube. : )

It varies depending on the school. Sometimes it's like an interrogation table. Sometimes it looks like the set for Dr. Phil.

Most one-on-ones will be at a table or in an office. In my experience, they were either in the interviewer's personal office or in a public place somewhere.

I don't have any experience with MMIs so I'm not sure what the format is like.

There are some outliers, but I'd say > 90% of schools' interview settings are the interviewer(s) on one side of the table and interviewee(s) on the other in some kind of office. This is also true for most MMI formats, you simply get shuffled between several different offices. This is something you can look up for each individual program once you actually receive interviews by using the medical interview survey responses on the front page.