What is the lowest MCAT admitted to allo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverant 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am devastated by my latest MCAT performance. Test anxiety really did a number on me. A 6 in verbal has really taken me out of the game. This has been such a long and winding road for me. I don't really think i have it in me to take the MCAT again. The other parts of my application are competitive. Anyone have any suggestions? Please help!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

ok, was this a URM? I am as white as we come!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it doesn't say anything about URM, but here's quoting MSAR statistics:

"Accepted applicants achieved total scores from 5 to 42; the number of accepted applicans with total scores of 17 and below (an average of almost 6 on each section) was just over 100."

a 5?!?!? not to get on my high horse or anything, but unless there were some SERIOUS extenuating circumstances there, what the hell is that person doing in med school? :eek:

Originally posted by DW
a 5?!?!? not to get on my high horse or anything, but unless there were some SERIOUS extenuating circumstances there, what the hell is that person doing in med school? :eek:

Wow! That's more than 3 SDs below, i.e. not even better than 0.3% of test takers. Is that for real? Can't you get more than that only for signing your name on the test? ;)

There are early admission programs - not early DECISION programs, that essentially let you into medical school after undergrad without requiring a lot of the prereqs that most applicants need.

Brandeis has/had one with Mt. Sinai in NY, and if admitted, you don't have to take orgo or physics - they have some abbreviated combined orgo/physics class the summer before matriculation. And, although you are required to take the MCAT, your score is used only for interest purposes. You don't have to score well, or at all, since your admission has already been secured.

I'm sure there are other programs similar to this, where the MCAT is really a formality more than anything else.

Hope that helps explain things for people.

- Tae

Heh, I want that person to be my brain surgeon.

Isn't the random guessing average higher then a 5?

Originally posted by tkim6599
Brandeis has/had one with Mt. Sinai in NY, and if admitted, you don't have to take orgo or physics - they have some abbreviated combined orgo/physics class the summer before matriculation. And, although you are required to take the MCAT, your score is used only for interest purposes. You don't have to score well, or at all, since your admission has already been secured.

So what's the rationale behind have programs like this where you don't have to do traditional prereqs? I mean, I know Vandy has some early admissions stuff, but you still have to take the MCAT? And still have to meet requirements? (I don't know details, just that one of my parents' friends' kids got in sometime his sophomore or junior year under their early program?)...

Originally posted by tkim6599
I'm sure there are other programs similar to this, where the MCAT is really a formality more than anything else.

Hmmm...in the 8 year USC program, don't you have to get at least a 24-ish? (something like, you have to get the nat'l average) Not quite a formality, but definitely lower than USC admissions standards.

i wish i would have done a combined undergrad/md degree... this process blows .
p

Well I can not speak for a 5, but there was a person from our school who was admitted with a 11 (9 VR/ 2 PS/ 0 BS). What happened was they had a medical problem during the physics portion during the test, and had to leave. They explained all of this during the application process, he had such a strong application otherwise, that the schools simply didn't make him retake it, since there was a valid reason why it was such low.

I bet must of the very low MCAT score admissions, have some sort of these extenuating circustances attached to them.

Essentially I bet they are low scores that should have an asteris next to them for some reason or another.

Originally posted by cabruen
Well I can not speak for a 5, but there was a person from our school who was admitted with a 11 (9 VR/ 2 PS/ 0 BS). What happened was they had a medical problem during the physics portion during the test, and had to leave. They explained all of this during the application process, he had such a strong application otherwise, that the schools simply didn't make him retake it, since there was a valid reason why it was such low.

Wow. It must have taken some cojones to apply with an 11, including the bagel on BS and the 2 on PS. If it wasn't someone from your school that you might know, I'd call it an urban legend. ;)

Originally posted by Random Access
So what's the rationale behind have programs like this where you don't have to do traditional prereqs?

That particular program was trying to attract non-science majors to apply. The prereqs, IIRC, were a min 3.5 GPA and SAT of 1300+ (though that was before the changeover to the 'new' scores). I just checked the Brandeis website, and it ain't there no mo. So perhaps they got all the non-sci majors they need now.

- Tae

Originally posted by Random Access
Wow. It must have taken some cojones to apply with an 11, including the bagel on BS and the 2 on PS. If it wasn't someone from your school that you might know, I'd call it an urban legend. ;)

I believe or pre-med advisor specifically talk to the Dean of Admissions of the School he was applying to, and cleared the MCAT issue at that very high level.

I believe or pre-med advisor specifically talk to the Dean of Admissions of the School he was applying to, and cleared the MCAT issue at that very high level.

So this only worked at one particular school? I mean...did the person apply elsewhere and they said, "eh, whatever, no 11s"?

He only applied to the one school, since that is where they had worked out the MCAT issue. It would have been too much work to get all of the schools to work out this issue. BTW, the school was Southwestern, and it was his first choice.

My point is that these very low scores that are accepted, have special circumstances attached.

He only applied to the one school, since that is where they had worked out the MCAT issue. It would have been too much work to get all of the schools to work out this issue. BTW, the school was Southwestern, and it was his first choice.

My point is that these very low scores that are accepted, have special circumstances attached.

Interesting. Well I'm glad he got in if he's worthy, given the mitigating circumstances.

what does it say about a person who doesn't retake after getting sick and coming up with a whopping 11 on the MCAT? "Sorry I didn't stitch you up all the way, but I was getting kinda sleepy and didn't feel like completing it after my nap"

I could probably get a 5 on the MCAT if i was filling in random bubbles -- blindfolded... with a broken pencil... and wrist.

He was going to retake the test, but essentially the school said don't bother. They knew he could do well, and didn't feel like making him retake, since they we're going to admit him anyway.

This is not provide comfort to those with low scores. This was a highly unusual special case.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
what does it say about a person who doesn't retake after getting sick and coming up with a whopping 11 on the MCAT? "Sorry I didn't stitch you up all the way, but I was getting kinda sleepy and didn't feel like completing it after my nap"

I'd hope it wasn't as simple as just "getting sick." Appendix bursting? :eek:

Originally posted by dpw68
Maybe that person is a bad test taker...otherwise is an intelligence person....mcat doesn't tell the whole person....trust me, I'm an OP who's done lots :D

I agree that the MCAT doesn't tell the whole person, but a 5 is too low. As I said, statistically, 3 SDs below isn't even close to the 1st percentile.

I think the logical explanation is the one by Tae.

He was going to retake the test, but essentially the school said don't bother. They knew he could do well, and didn't feel like making him retake, since they we're going to admit him anyway.

This is not provide comfort to those with low scores. This was a highly unusual special case.

Ahh in that case, I apologize to the person in question. :p