What is the most important quality or skill for a doctor to possess?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Or perceptual?

:thumbup:

you're the resident. I am just a mere mortal.

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: I love it!

How about the ability to do as much nothing as possible?

I try to do this on SDN. I try to have as many posts with as little useful information as possible.

:thumbup:

you're the resident. I am just a mere mortal.

All that means is that my ability to provide pseudo-care to hospitalized patients is at a max while my grasp of the English language grows ever looser.

Members don't see this ad :)
How badass would that be?

Actually my residency has "teams". There are the "Polar Bears", the "Alligators/Crocodiles" and the "Zebras". Unfortunately I am a Zebra. Zebras really only have one thing over the other two . . . and it involves size of the male organ.

healthcroc.gif

I hear alligator doctors get a good hold on their patients, drag them down to the basement of the hospital and wedge them under an exam table. They leave them there for a few hours to a few days and go back later to diagnose and treat their condition.

that's what Dr. Kelso really looks like

Actually my residency has "teams". There are the "Polar Bears", the "Alligators/Crocodiles" and the "Zebras". Unfortunately I am a Zebra. Zebras really only have one thing over the other two . . . and it involves size of the male organ.

See, now im trying to figure out what these animals could possibly mean. Given, the alligator docs are probably some tough dudes, but polar bears?

haha Auron, that alligator slash doctor is way too friendly looking.

See, now im trying to figure out what these animals could possibly mean. Given, the alligator docs are probably some tough dudes, but polar bears?

haha Auron, that alligator slash doctor is way too friendly looking.

dre0634l.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I thought my thing about how alligator doctors work was funny and nobody commented on it. [pouts]

ability to connect to patients is the ONE quality that every doc SHOULD have

So an alligator would make an awesome doctor?

If he's able to repel the **** he gets from patients, the **** he gets from other services, the **** he gets from administrators, the **** he gets from his wife for working too late, then yes an alligator would.

Don't forget the **** from the cafeteria :smuggrin:

You should do this for a living, go pro. It's a skill I wish I had.

I would, but I don't think it would go over that well with the ladies.

Diligence and ingenuity are most imp.

== from 'better'

OP, getting a head start on your Duke secondary?

I figured that having a moral compass would be the absolute most important. I've read in a couple places (sorry, I can't remember where exactly: newspapers, books - by Gawande among others) that dedication and repetition make a good technician. However, it's tough to learn how to navigate an ethical quagmire.

How about a rhino for the thick-skin award? Rhinos are pretty cool.

OP, getting a head start on your Duke secondary?

I figured that having a moral compass would be the absolute most important. I've read in a couple places (sorry, I can't remember where exactly: newspapers, books - by Gawande among others) that dedication and repetition make a good technician. However, it's tough to learn how to navigate an ethical quagmire.

How about a rhino for the thick-skin award? Rhinos are pretty cool.
nope, not even applying to DUke. It would be a waste of money.

A sweet mustache.

Fact: I have yet to meet a doctor with a sweet mustache who was anything but awesome.

High intelligence is probably the most important quality because if you don't have the knowledge and the ability to extend your knowledge to new situations then it doesn't matter how compassionate or humble you are.

The ability to leave work at work.

Knowledge in the field of medicine. A robot that saves your life is a lot better than a really nice guy that holds your hand while you die.
:thumbup: Best post in this thread.

The trait I think every doctor should have is a high tolerance for bull****. After all, you will be dealing with patients. A lack of an appreciable sense of smell might come in handy with some populations (inner city poor, etc).

All docs will possess adequate knowledge, so i think communication skills would be the most important. No matter how knowledgeable you are, if you can't properly communciate with a patient you'll be in trouble.

I have to go with humility, but not in the manner your thinking. No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, the best doctor will always strive to be better and know that there is always room to improve.