what is the scut work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a lot about asking for the scut work during interviews. But, what is the scut work?!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "asking for the scut work". Are you trying to ask to do the scut work?

i think usually what is meant is to ask if there is ample ancillary support (i.e. who does the blood draws, who puts in the IVs). some places it is the resident (=scut). i hope that helps if that was your questions :)

I heard a lot about asking for the scut work during interviews. But, what is the scut work?!

SCUT = Some Common Useless Task

A task of no educational value that keeps you from doing something that you might learn from or related to your residency or med school education.

I.E. being told to doing the work of an orderly or ward clerk.

...or, do you mean www.scutwork.com, which is a website with good info on programs written by residents and med students?

lol.....he wants to be scutted on interview day!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's not nice to make fun of someone's ignorance. the guy is just asking about something he doesn't know about. You have to understand that some lingo is not common to everyone. The gramma may not have been correct but you should have figured out what he was trying to say and answered his question. I hope you were not one of those guys who would laugh at fellow students' " dumb" questions in class. That is just a shame. People come to these fora to seek help and I am one of those that has benefitted immensely from sdn during this application season coz many nice people here have taken their time to answer my questions and not poke fun. Just my opinion.

Defintely ask them for the scutwork, just remember to say please, or else they'll just think you're greedy.

It's not nice to make fun of someone's ignorance. the guy is just asking about something he doesn't know about. You have to understand that some lingo is not common to everyone. The gramma may not have been correct but you should have figured out what he was trying to say and answered his question. I hope you were not one of those guys who would laugh at fellow students' " dumb" questions in class. That is just a shame. People come to these fora to seek help and I am one of those that has benefitted immensely from sdn during this application season coz many nice people here have taken their time to answer my questions and not poke fun. Just my opinion.

dude....i did not know what scut was until clinicals either...

and...NO...i am not one of those guys who laughs at dumb questions in the class....neither am I the one who asks them....

have a little sense of humor....relax....chill....!

i think what someone was telling you was, make sure you ask an intern or resident what the level of scutwork is like at the hospital you are interviewing at. you want a LOW level of scutwork- scutwork sucks, its basically when you run around doing stupid stuff that someone else should be doing. hospitals with high levels of scutwork care less about your education and more about you providing the hospital with cheap labor. so yes, when you are on interviews, make sure you ask a current resident or intern how much scutwork they end up doing. hope that helps.