What is the sh*tiest thing ever to be on the script copies you have handled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrightLight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A customer came to my pharmacy and handed me a prescription. As I turned the paper over to feed the scanner, I noticed a dark line on the back of the copy. After I took a closer look, I realized they were about 12 squashed dead baby cockroaches (or something of that kind) stuck to the paper forming a perfect line. I wanted to smash the paper on that guy's face and tell him to get the hell of my pharmacy, but I remained professional as I always had been and just rewrote the prescription on another sheet and sealed the original copy in a mix bag to be filed away (and save it for the next PBM auditor to enjoy).

But that is the sh*tiest thing I have ever seen to be on a prescription in my years of pharmacy practice. Until then I had always imagined that the most disgusting thing to be on a prescription would be someone's menses. But dead cockroaches, and 12 of them together! Do you have similar stories to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This will be interesting, never had anything that nasty...

I would say it would have to be the script that was literally saturated with perfume to the extent that it had to be double sealed in plastic bags so that it would not permeate the pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
A customer came to my pharmacy and handed me a prescription. As I turned the paper over to feed the scanner, I noticed a dark line on the back of the copy. After I took a closer look, I realized they were about 12 squashed dead baby cockroaches (or something of that kind) stuck to the paper forming a perfect line. I wanted to smash the paper on that guy's face and tell him to get the hell of my pharmacy, but I remained professional as I always had been and just rewrote the prescription on another sheet and sealed the original copy in a mix bag to be filed away (and save it for the next PBM auditor to enjoy).

But that is the sh*tiest thing I have ever seen to be on a prescription in my years of pharmacy practice. Until then I had always imagined that the most disgusting thing to be on a prescription would be someone's menses. But dead cockroaches, and 12 of them together! Do you have similar stories to share?

:barf: I get coffee stains on the RX all the time but this one.. is just .. gross

the worst is when a patient comes from the dentist. I had a guy the other day come in with a mouth full of bloody gauze. the script he handed over was saturated with blood. I refused to handle the prescription. I made the guy put the script in a plastic zip lock bag before i would process his script. A few minutes later the non pharmacy manager was back to the pharmacy to have a heart to heart with me. apparently the schmuck complain to the manager that i wouldnt touch his bloody script. apparently not wanting to expose yourself to some random dudes biologicals is not giving good customer service. I put on a pair of latex gloves retrieved the script from the plastic bag and attempted to hand it over to the manager. he gave me a what the hell look look and stepped back. i said see even you wont touch it. he agreed with my actions and left.

Nothing that bad, but I have had two bad ones.

The first is a script covered in a brown (semi-thick) substance that at best is chocolate and at worst is…

The second was a script written six or seven months prior to when I got it. It was dirty (filthy) and it smelt horrible. There is no way on Earth to describe the smell. I'm talking about a smell that you could smell six feet away from the thing and it still would make you gag. Thankfully we had a tech on duty at the time entering scripts (the tech and I were both entering), so I just did what anyone would do and handed it to him to enter. :smuggrin:

I got one that was smeared with blood, because the woman had just had an INR fingerstick at the doctor's and she handled the prescription without realizing that her finger was still bleeding. We processed it and then put it in a Baggie.

She was a very nice woman, too so we didn't hold that against her.

Had a patient call us in a panic because she dropped her Ritalin script in the (full) toilet on Friday night. Normal circumstances would have prompted me to tell her to go back to the office but being that they were closed, we had to use the urine saturated Ritalin hard copy. Gloves to handle it and put it in a baggy and call it a day. The patient was really embarrassed but I told her it wasn't really a big deal and she was super thankful.

our pharmacy have the hardware to take a snapshot of the hardcopy

not like the oldschool one where you have to run it thru the scanner

Had a patient call us in a panic because she dropped her Ritalin script in the (full) toilet on Friday night. Normal circumstances would have prompted me to tell her to go back to the office but being that they were closed, we had to use the urine saturated Ritalin hard copy. Gloves to handle it and put it in a baggy and call it a day. The patient was really embarrassed but I told her it wasn't really a big deal and she was super thankful.

This is a MUCH more believable story than someone saying they dropped the Ritalin itself into the toilet.

:hungover:

This is a MUCH more believable story than someone saying they dropped the Ritalin itself into the toilet.

:hungover:

At first that's what I thought she did! I was about to be all "Lolz ur dum" and tell her to call the doctor and then she was started talking about the actual prescription. The sad thing is it didn't surprise us because she's a hot mess 24/7.

I hope all scripts can be e-scripts soon. :scared:

I have no particular story beyond the grease and blood we've all seen. But I can never get over when you get a script or a bottle and you think "hahaha, this is 4 years old and expired" only to find out it was written that day or filled last month. WTF do people DO with these things that they look like that???

I know a pharmacist who always put on a pair of gloves when working at a pharmacy. We always make fun of her. Now in retrospect, maybe she is the smart one.

I hope all scripts can be e-scripts soon. :scared:

A lot of scripts are now sent via electronic systems; however problems arise when they are first sent to a clearing house which verifies the origin and it takes 15-60 minutes to reach the pharmacy dependent on volume at the moment. AND OF course the patient shows up and we say the script hasn't arrived yet and they then call the physicians office who resends it, and we get an extra script. Not to mention they sometimes do not get sent from the office either from electronic problems or forgetfulness of having to deal with a virtual script.

Other issues arise which I have seen where old prescriptions were not cleared out of the computer system, so when the patient visits the physician months later, both the old and new scripts are sent. All of which stating the current date, so the pharmacy ends up with 2 scripts for the same medication with either different dosing, strengths, quantity, or refills forcing us to call the office.

But with everything there are pros and cons and we must deal with it.

I hope all scripts can be e-scripts soon.

I hope you're wrong. Good god, I hope you're wrong. I can't count how many times I've received an e-script that says "take one daily" in the directions and "take twice daily" in the comments only to have the patient say "well the doc told me to take two twice a day so four daily".

I hope you're wrong. Good god, I hope you're wrong. I can't count how many times I've received an e-script that says "take one daily" in the directions and "take twice daily" in the comments only to have the patient say "well the doc told me to take two twice a day so four daily".
Oh yes, there is definitely that. I thought that was just our system but apparently not. Med rec=nightmare