What is UP with NYU's May 1st Deadline???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super Rob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS schools list May 15th as the deadline to be holding one acceptance, but NYU wants a decision by May 1st. Why?

I'm comparing NYU to an AMCAS school that is supposed to give me my financial aid package just prior to May 15th. The package will have some weight in my decision - do students in my position usually wait until May 15th to render their decision?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that I heard many schools won't be able to give you a financial aid package until after May 15th... In which case it won't be much of a difference with NYU.

If I were you, I would email some people at the other school and find out what they know about the school's financial aid. They should be able to give you a good idea if the school is generous or stingy. If won't give you an exact answer, but you should be able to get an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Super Rob said:
AMCAS schools list May 15th as the deadline to be holding one acceptance, but NYU wants a decision by May 1st. Why?

I'm comparing NYU to an AMCAS school that is supposed to give me my financial aid package just prior to May 15th. The package will have some weight in my decision - do students in my position usually wait until May 15th to render their decision?

They don't need a decision from you by May 1st per se. They only tell you that your deposit is refundable until may 1st. Which is a lot better than a lot of other schools that offer non-refundable deposits.

cool, so they won't give my spot away to someone else if I hold out a week or two to see what the other place is offering? :)

I would check with them just in case because in the NYU email last week, it did seem that they wanted to know ASAP if you were coming or not so they can finalize the class. Still, I don't know how frequently AMCAS sends out data on acceptees to med schools, but NYU might not have full access to your data whenever it wants like other schools. You might actually be safe waiting awhile.

I doubt they'll give away your spot.

But they may give you a hard time about your deposit. However, if I was you, do what I did (does that make sense?).

Keep the one/two you really care about and would seriously attend and release the rest to those on the waitlists. I think it has given me a lot of closure to know it's either A or B and not A or B or C and maybe D (you get the idea). I'm also advising to give up your spot if you're not interested because of the new and improved "karma" on SDN. Maybe that'll hold and if I give up my spots now someone will give up a spot that I want at my dream (get my drift?)

Thanks for the replies. I'm eager to make this decision once I've got some figures in front of me. May 15th, I'll be holding on to just one school and writing to places I am waitlisted. Applying late = interviewing late = getting late decisions = having to choose late in the process = fewer karma points. Good luck to everybody :thumbup: