What is up with people making rap parodies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NontradCA

American Hero
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that at nearly every undergraduate/med school there is some group of students making a rap parody of their studies. Is Lonely Island responsible for this? This has to be the most offensive trend I've seen in schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I see it as a nice ice breaker to meet some new friends.

ACOM's is pretty decent tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I too get upset about what other people do for fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I can't wait until we get to do this in my med school class next year. The dean told us they have a contest every year about who makes the best video, and they are presented at a ball and the best is voted on, and awards are given out. This seems extremely fun... I agree with Carl Seitan's sarcasm :)

I wouldn't be upset if they were actually funny or not exploiting a genre of music I like. It's always nerdy white people pretending to be "cool".

Like the op and Carl I also find people who are clearly not cool, pretending to be. It's frustrating that these nerdy people think they can be entertaining, please stop and leave entertainment to cool kids only.

Like the op and Carl I also find people who are clearly not cool, pretending to be. It's frustrating that these nerdy people think they can be entertaining, please stop and leave entertainment to cool kids only.
I think entertainment should be left to entertainers.

I think entertainment should be left to entertainers.

Why? This is all about fun for these students. If you don't like it, don't watch them.. I'm sure there are 100s more of these made, but not put on YouTube. So are you just upset that these people are sharing the videos with their friends online, or that these evil people are simply making such videos? How dare they!

Why? This is all about fun for these students. If you don't like it, don't watch them.. I'm sure there are 100s more of these made, but not put on YouTube. So are you just upset that these people are sharing the videos with their friends online, or that these evil people are simply making such videos? How dare they!
I don't watch them... I'm just pointing out that it's exploiting rap culture. I know that music for everyone, but I tend to think if you had a bunch of Howard students singing country parodies jimmies would be rustled. I didn't say they were evil, just lame AF.

I thought what the spleen do was pretty awesome.

Is this a link to ACOMs? Confusing to me since it was uploaded in January!

As for the topic, I think it's awesome to see med students not take their lives too seriously. Good for meeting people and blowing off steam!

I don't watch them... I'm just pointing out that it's exploiting rap culture. I know that music for everyone, but I tend to think if you had a bunch of Howard students singing country parodies jimmies would be rustled. I didn't say they were evil, just lame AF.

WTF do you realize how racist you are? And no one other that you would have a problem with howard doing a country song. Seriously what's wrong with you.

WTF do you realize how racist you are? And no one other that you would have a problem with howard doing a country song. Seriously what's wrong with you.

You mean how subtly racist those ****ty parodies are?

You mean how subtly racist those ****ty parodies are?
I live in an area where there are people from all over the world. Honestly, rap is what's "in", not country (too much, anyway). Making silly songs from popular songs has been popular for YEARS. Check out the history of this comedy approach and you will understand. I cannot speak for what is in the hearts of those making the video, but I do know that this has been a comedic approach long before the recent string of medical school students posting videos on YoutTube.

ACOM. Cat in the Hat. Sounds....eerily familiar....

Not all of those med school parodies are rap/hip hop songs though. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get how they are "subtly racist". They seem perfectly fine. At the very worst, corny, but still fun :p

You can always make your own rap parody to beat them!